Menu

What makes up a freshman English class?

Well, I can chime in from an international school in Ankara, Turkey. I'm teaching freshmen English (the first year of a two year program in IGCSE English Literature and Language).

The ninth grade has to read three novels: To Kill a Mockingbird, Ethan Frome, and Richard III. They have to cover about 12 poems (Keats, Matthew Arnold, Browning, etc). We do a vocabulary program (Vocabulary for the College Bound) and I put them through a Grammar Essentials review program last semester.

There is a separate English Language component, which is basically a reading and composition program, responding to articles and showing comprehension and some sort of personal response.

In my particular class, we do weekly in-class essays (passage analysis, empathic response, or discursive essays), and then we have monthly two-page papers (poetry analysis, book reviews, literature response, etc).

We have some fun too-- made powerpoint presentations of To Kill a Mockingbird, did vocabulary bees, poetry memorization challenges, writing for publication, etc. So far, so good...

Anne