Menu

Bellerophon or Dover Coloring Books

Medieval Mom

Looking at the books I have, I'd say that there is a difference, at least in history. While the Dover one might have, say, a simple picture of what Dover imagines ancient Egyptian life to be like, Bellerophon will have a line drawing reproduction of a piece of ancient art -- with more complicated designs and more detail than the Dover books. I just pulled out a Bellerophon Ancient Egypt to look at -- I chose it because I liked that the pix were taken from actual wall paintings and so on. But, having said that, I would say that it really didn't make much difference to my children. IMO, unless your dc are really passionate about coloring, these books have almost more than you need.

For early elementary, we liked the Color & Learn series. And for nature/animals/plants, we like Dover.

When my daughter was your son's age I found them both too detailed to work well for us. Her fine motor coordination was just not up to it and they were wasted. I found another series where the pictures were not so detailed, but I can't remember the name of the series. I'm afraid it's been too long. Now that she's 8, however, she is really enjoying doing the detailed coloring required.

I think the Dover's are more like a book book with descriptions and such, with very detailed line drawings fo coloring. We don't usually use the Dover's because they are too detailed. I like the Bellepheron's because they are not as detailed. However, for your dc age, I like the coloring books by Edupress.

http://www.highsmith.com/edupress/search/coloring%20books/

I think the Dover's are more like a book book with descriptions and such, with very detailed line drawings for coloring. We don't usually use the Dover's because they are too detailed. I like the Bellepheron's because they are not as detailed. However, for your dc age, I like the coloring books by Edupress.

http://www.highsmith.com/edupress/search/coloring%20books/

That's it! These are the ones that we used, I just couldn't remember the name of the series. I found these much more user-friendly for my daughter in K-1--we had Rome, Greece and Egypt.

I did not believe it would be true, but it really has taken her until she was 8 to have both the fine motor skills and interest/patience to do the more detailed drawing, coloring, even crafts that I kept thinking we should easily be able to do earlier.

Between Dover and Bellerophon, I tend to find Bellerophon to simply be cooler overall (at least for ancient and medieval, which are the ones I have seen);).