Menu

Anyone with culinary training? Know about Le Cordon Bleu?

My dd Claire is seriously considering Le Cordon Bleu. It's VERY expensive. I mean ridiculously totally out of our league expensive! She'd likely end up with student loans for all tuition which would saddle her with a debt as large as my mortgage. It's her passion though. We've only found one college with a certificate/diploma program for culinary arts, not even a degree like she can get at Le Cordon Bleu. It it really worth going to a training institute like this one? Would she really get a job making tons of money to help her pay back the loans? I'm thinking she could be a doctor for the same amount of money. Aiee!!

Well, I don't have culinary training and I don't know much of anything about Le Cordon Bleu, but my cousin went to their school in Austin and did her internship (called something else) at The French Laundry outside of San Francisco. They offered her a job at the completion of her internship, but she turned it down (!!!!!!) because she didn't want to be so far away from family. My aunt has had wonderful things to say about my cousin's training and my cousin is extremely happy working in TX instead of CA.

Best of luck!

She could always consider beginning with the other college's culinary program and fine tune exactly what avenue she wants to pursue and then consider switching. We've got a nearby culinary institute with a Cordon Bleu program and while they have students who are just out of high school, they also have people who already have careers in hotel management or hospitality (or something similar) who want to further or alter their careers. Basically, I don't think it's now or never. They are also very picky on who they'll admit, so having already pursued a direction may increase her chances of getting in in the future. If you guys want to try and swing it now, though, I do think it would be an awesome opportunity. :)

....my cousin went to their school in Austin and did her internship (called something else) at The French Laundry outside of San Francisco. They offered her a job at the completion of her internship, but she turned it down (!!!!!!)

WHAT!!!????

She turned down a job at the French Laundry?????? Really?!!

That has to be THE MOST sought after restaurant job in the nation. Turning down an admission to Harvard isn't even a good analogy. Wow!

To me it speaks volumes about Le Cordon Bleu that they got her in the kitchen there and her trained got her a job offer. But is she nuts???!!! :lol:

Bill

They are also very picky on who they'll admit, so having already pursued a direction may increase her chances of getting in in the future. If you guys want to try and swing it now, though, I do think it would be an awesome opportunity. :)

She's being actively courted by the Cordon Bleu school in Arizona. We're in Georgia. Claire has spoken to the admissions gentlement a few times and he called me yesterday. He is highly impressed with her attitude and ambition. He's supposed to be finding out exactly how Claire can be admitted since she's a homeschooler. I explained that I'd prefer to not use the GED because of it's association with dropouts, but that if that was the only way in besides an accredited diploma, we'd seriously consider it. He was really super nice and said he had 3 teens himself and totally understands. Until that phone call, I wasn't sure she'd get in. Now I feel like it's a very real possibility. She'd likely be enrolled when she's 17. He said her age was fine. :)

She's being actively courted by the Cordon Bleu school in Arizona. We're in Georgia. Claire has spoken to the admissions gentlement a few times and he called me yesterday. He is highly impressed with her attitude and ambition. He's supposed to be finding out exactly how Claire can be admitted since she's a homeschooler. I explained that I'd prefer to not use the GED because of it's association with dropouts, but that if that was the only way in besides an accredited diploma, we'd seriously consider it. He was really super nice and said he had 3 teens himself and totally understands. Until that phone call, I wasn't sure she'd get in. Now I feel like it's a very real possibility. She'd likely be enrolled when she's 17. He said her age was fine. :)

That's where we are - I looked into going there when we first moved here. It's so nice....

Oh and if they're pursuing her....I'd really consider letting her do it...it's truly a dream for someone who has a passion for cooking. Best wishes to you guys!!!

Edited by Guest

WHAT!!!????

She turned down a job at the French Laundry?????? Really?!!

That has to be THE MOST sought after restaurant job in the nation. Turning down an admission to Harvard isn't even a good analogy. Wow!

To me it speaks volumes about Le Cordon Bleu that they got her in the kitchen there and her trained got her a job offer. But is she nuts???!!! :lol:

Bill

I know. We were all floored. She is young and their immediate family is very close and live in Louisanna - quite the distance from San Fran. But really? Once in a lifetime opportunity.