Menu

Classical education starting in 4th/5th grade? Where to start?

Hi!

We've been using the BJU DVD program for the past few years, but I'm finding that the lessons are far too easy for my ds, who just turned 9. We've been doing 3rd grade BJU for most of the classes, but substituted 4th grade math and 4th grade reading in the hope that it would make things a bit more challenging.

I should add that I don't want school to be challenging to the point where it's complete drudgery; I'd just like to see ds not score 100% on every single test without ever having to study at all.

It's becoming clear to me that the DVD program, while ds enjoys it, may not be the best choice for us. That's why I am considering implementing a more classical education program... but I don't know how to get started because ds seems to be at an "in-between" age, and the BJU materials don't seem to fit in with the classical model. (As an example, ds has only done American History so far, up through the Civil War/Wild West era -- and BJU Heritage Studies is very light, so it's really nothing more than an overview of history, without much depth or detail.)

HELP! :confused:

I liked the DVDs because they were so easy for me -- I was basically the teacher's assistant, and the DVD teacher taught all of the concepts and assigned the work. I think that, overall, it's a solid program, and I have no complaints about it except that I think that in order for it to work for ds, I'd have to advance him by a few years, and then the themes of the material might be too mature for him. (He can read and comprehend beyond the high school level, but he's still a typical 9 year-old kid -- and I want him to stay that way!)

Anyway, I have probably done a terrible job of explaining this, because I'm just starting to hash this out in my mind and am feeling pretty clueless right now, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction in terms of how I can get started on a classical track, considering where we are now. I have the WTM book, but it seems like we've done things quite differently and would need to "catch up," yet I don't want to feel like we're moving backward, either.

Ok, I'll stop typing now -- I'm rambling and getting more confusing!

I'd really appreciate any info and advice!

Thanks!

Cat

Edited by Catwoman
Typos!!!

I'll second the idea of CC- We're in our 3rd year of Foundations - which would probably be where your son could fit. They will start Cycle 1 in the fall- that is a great time to jump in. Take advantage of the Parent Practicums that will be happening in the spring/summer. Check their website out for dates/ times. Also, try to go to an open house at a CC campus near you -happening now. Check out their info meetings, too.

CC is a good way to get your feet wet in the classical model. They make memorizing fun and your children can make new friends. Their Essentials program is the best grammar/writing curriculum I've seen and I've been hs for 22 years. You'll find like-minded parents there, too.

Hope that's helpful.

www.classicalconversations.com

Anyway, I have probably done a terrible job of explaining this, because I'm just starting to hash this out in my mind and am feeling pretty clueless right now, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction in terms of how I can get started on a classical track, considering where we are now. I have the WTM book, but it seems like we've done things quite differently and would need to "catch up," yet I don't want to feel like we're moving backward, either.

Don't think of it as going backwards, think of it as changing tracks to something more interesting! And since he just turned 9, you probably aren't going to go very far back, anyway.

Start by thinking about where he is skillwise. Math, grammar, spelling, ability to read, writing. Get your programs in place to work on these skills each week - could be BJU materials, could be programs recommended in WTM. WTM explains clearly WHY the authors chose particular programs, so I found this info. helpful in choosing my materials. So figure out what you want to use to teach these skills, then figure out what level to start him on.

About writing - since the last edition of WTM was published, one of the authors published a great, simple-to-implement writing program, based on the copywork/dictation and narration that is emphasized all through the WTM grammar stage section - it's called Writing With Ease. You can do a board search to read about people's experiences with it so far. WWE makes all the writing instruction in that part of WTM come together very easily. It also encompasses "reading comprehension" by using interesting books you are reading in other areas.

About foreign language - this is another skill area that you could add in, too, if you wanted to. WTM has a suggestion for Latin beginning in 3rd grade, and the book is very easy to implement. But I wouldn't call it essential if it overwhelms you at first. The other skills are more essential to get started.

After you get skills work going, then you turn your attention to content areas: history, literature, science, art appreciation, and music appreciation. Not everyone does all of these, but a chronological history study provides a structure for literature study, and eventually science, as well as art and music. So you could start with history and lit. as described in WTM, then add the other things as you get comfortable. Also, don't feel you have to "catch up" in history or science - just start history at the beginning and enjoy all the reading. Start science on one subject for the year and enjoy that - life sciences, earth/space, chemistry, or physics. Don't worry to much if it's not 1st grade ancient history and life sciences and so forth. If you start a cycle, you will cycle through them all at different times than in WTM, but you will still practice the ability-appropriate skills on whatever content you are doing at the time. (hope that makes sense!)

The advantage of doing things this way is that you are sure your child is getting skills he needs, and you can draw from vast amounts of wonderful books to read together (or give him to read), instead of snippets from a textbook. It's just plain old far more interesting!! What ends up happening is that you practice the English skills on the interesting content that YOU choose, instead of what someone else chooses.

There's a chapter at the end of WTM that talks about how to get started in the middle, too. It's very practical.

Have fun!