Menu

Contact lenses

When I turned 40 (a long time ago), I had to start wearing glasses to read. My distance vision is 20/15 in one eye, 20/20 in the other. I do have a slight astigmatism and am at +1.75.

A couple years ago, I tried the progressive bifocal (concentric circles) contacts. I tried one in my dominant eye, one in my non-dominant, and in both. I loved the fact I could read without digging out my glasses. I absolutely hated what it did to my distance vision. At night, lights had halos and I just felt totally uncomfortable driving. I gave up.

I really want to try them again and know there are different kinds on the market. Before I call the dr., I am looking for advice.

Anyone have experience with these? Opinions?

Thanks!!

I have been dealing with contacs for reading for quite a few years and have probably worn all the options, including the one you described.

CUrrently I am wearing what they call Mono vision. My right eye is corrected for distance and my left eye is corrected for reading.

It has been really frustrating process and I had to give up some distance vision to get the reading vision correct.

My vision correction numbers are 375 in my left and way over 500 in my right, and I have astigmatism, so I think your experience may very well be much better than mine.

Currently I can once again see to thread my sewing machine, I can read comfortably, but my distance vision is not awesome. Example when I am in Costco, the over head signs in the distance are not clear to me. I can see fine to drive, but I can't always read the road signs, especially at night. To clarify, I can read them, but not always as soon as I need to and I may end up driving past the street I want and turnign around and going back. I consider it an nusance, but am thankful I can see close up much better.

fact I could read without digging out my glasses. I absolutely hated what it did to my distance vision. At night, lights had halos and I just felt totally uncomfortable driving. I gave up.

Anyone have experience with these? Opinions?

Thanks!!

I wear progressive contacts and have had 4 different ones in the last 2 yrs. I keep having the prescription changed. I live with not being able to see as well as I did before using progressive contacts. I couldn't STAND using reading glasses!

I do wear my progressive glasses a LOT more now than I did before I had to go progressive (bifocal) but always at home.

I'm right there with you. I tried multiple types of contacts and just recently tried a bifocal that is working great for me!! There are Baush and Lomb Soflens, Multifocal. I can't say how much I love these. I was ready to give up on contacts all together and resign myself to reading glasses with that little chain thing. LOL. However, my friend and Optometrist begged me to try one more type and I love them!! They are two week disposables and the only two limitations I have found are:

A slight refraction of light with night driving.

Hard to focus in extremely low lighting.

However, I can work around both of these and the limitations are minor compared to the convenience of seeing my books, computer screen and my dc's sitting across the room. Not sure if they will work for you, but worth a try.

I'm right there with you. I tried multiple types of contacts and just recently tried a bifocal that is working great for me!! There are Baush and Lomb Soflens, Multifocal. I can't say how much I love these. I was ready to give up on contacts all together and resign myself to reading glasses with that little chain thing. LOL. However, my friend and Optometrist begged me to try one more type and I love them!! They are two week disposables and the only two limitations I have found are:

A slight refraction of light with night driving.

Hard to focus in extremely low lighting.

However, I can work around both of these and the limitations are minor compared to the convenience of seeing my books, computer screen and my dc's sitting across the room. Not sure if they will work for you, but worth a try.

Sounds promising. I will ask about them.

Thanks!

Are they GP? Were they custom made for you?

Yes, they are GP. They were custom made, and they are by far the most comfortable lenses I have ever worn. I have been very happy with them so far, and have found that Dr. Herzberg is very thorough, and very knowledgeable. He was also instrumental in the development of CRT, and he offers this option as well.