Menu

Brag alert!

My 13 dd started bowling last summer. She had a pretty rough start but around Christmas she got a new ball and has been steadily improving. She qualified for a regional tournament that took place today. Even though she still has a low average she did well on the qualifying day and between her score and her handicap she was in the top 3 girls to qualify in her league.

She has been very sick since last weekend. She has had a sore throat, dizziness, on and off fever, stomachache and has been extremely tired. She was pretty much in bed 24 hours a day Monday-Thursday. I took her to the doctor on Thursday and he said that she either had a virus or influenza. Friday morning I told her that I highly doubted that she would be able to go to the bowling tournament. She looked at me with tears in her eyes and said that she would get better and that she really wanted to go.

Friday she forced herself to eat a decent lunch and supper (up until then she had only been able to tolerate things like jello). She also forced herself out of bed for a few hours at a time and then would lay back down. I have never seen her more determined. Last night she was actually starting to look and feel better. I told her that I would wake her up in time to go to the tournament but it was still doubtful that she could go. This morning she woke up and said that she felt better. She ate a good breakfast and was determined to go. Since most of her symptoms were gone my dh and I decided that we would let her go.

On the way to the car I noticed how weak she was. She could barely carry her bowling bag. She lost 7 pounds since Monday so I also think that contributed to her weakness. (She is very thin to start with). She kept on insisting that she was fine. When we got there I quietly told my dh that I hope we weren't making a mistake. I didn't want her to regret going. We weren't expecting her to bowl well but didn't want her to be embarrassed either.

She did great! They used the average that she had back when she qualified. Back then it was only 79. (Now it is 90). Because this isn't the scratch division she had a huge handicap score going in. To top it all off she scored 181 points (scratch) over her average for the series. We won't know for at least a week but there is a very good chance that she has qualified to go to the state competition. In fact, her score was higher than any other qualifier last year.

I am just so proud of her. I'm thrilled with her scores but quite honestly I am even more proud of the way she pushed herself and told herself that she could do it. She was exhausted and it was difficult for her to finish all 4 games but she did it. She came home and immediately went to bed. She tends to be very shy and quiet and many people tend to think that she is a weak person (physically and socially). I was so happy that she proved them wrong. Regardless of the outcome I think this is a lesson that will stick with her.