Menu

Finishing Latina Christiana II this year...what next?

ABQmom

My dd will be in the eighth grade next year. We are so very tired of LCII and Latin in general. It's getting harder--maybe that's why we are growing weary of it. I was thinking of taking a break from Latin--maybe just being done with it for good. I was also toying with the idea of doing a roots study, but as I look at English from the Roots Up, I'm wondering if this would be too easy. She's already learned most of the roots either through Rummy Roots in 2nd and 3rd grade or through LC I and II.

I'm not sure what I think about continuing Latin at this point. Is it necessary? Any suggestions for where I might go from here? I really do see a benefit in learning Latin from a derivatives stand point. I just don't know about continuing with Latin grammar.

I'm not sure which program to suggest. We will find ourselves in the same spot at the beginning of next year. The one thing that I have noticed while searching through all the options is that they all start back at the beginning but just move faster and give more detail. This means that the things she found difficult in LCII will be completely reviewed. I am considering Henle because my oldest DS loves the format of LC. He actually likes that it has no variety so that he always knows what to expect. The other program that I keep coming back to is Latin Alive by Classical Academic Press. I looks colorful and has variety and lots of integrated English grammar from what I can see from the samples.

We moved from LC II to Henle - it was like a breath of fresh air! I didn't realise how much we had actually covered.

While, yes, it starts back at the 'beginning', having completed Henle means that Latin lessons are... dare I say it.... quick and easy! My guys are scoring 95-100% on the quizzes each week - it's fantastic.

We're also using the Memoria Press guides, so no planning of the lessons, either - just follow the guide.

We moved from LC II to Henle - it was like a breath of fresh air! I didn't realise how much we had actually covered.

While, yes, it starts back at the 'beginning', having completed Henle means that Latin lessons are... dare I say it.... quick and easy! My guys are scoring 95-100% on the quizzes each week - it's fantastic.

We're also using the Memoria Press guides, so no planning of the lessons, either - just follow the guide.

:iagree: This is what we did, and it has been refreshing. The style in Henle is very different - they teach minimal vocab and drill the grammar with very simple sentences. It has been a great confidence booster for my kids. I agree with Linda wholeheartedly in recommending the MP guides.

Another option for you to consider is to switch to something which is reading based. We've added in some Cambridge Latin this year and my kids have really enjoyed it. You study Latin by reading passages - stories about a family in Pompeii - then investigate grammar as you go. Vocab teaching is interwoven into the stories. They also have a great workbook to go along with it. Again, it is a nice change from LC2, teaches them different skills and is fun.

I had my 12 yo dd stop Latin at the beginning of this year for the same reasons you mentioned in your post - she was tired of it, the increasing difficulty, and she had more work to do this year in her other subjects. As my son went forward in Henle 1, I started to wish that I had kept her in it. The pace of the Henle is so different. I kept thinking that all her work in Latin through LC2 wasn't being used! So, I started her up in it in Nov and I am so glad that I did. Her confidence is up and she is doing well. They are both prepping for the Intro National Latin Exam right now and enjoying seeing how much they've learned.

I think you have a lot of options - if you wanted to continue with Latin, there are some great online courses that would be good to look into that would offer her more help and make it easier for you as the teacher. Or you could switch her into a different language for high school - the Latin background will be a great help to her! Personally, I do see value in continuing with Latin and learning both the vocab and grammar - I took several years in high school and it did help me understand English better. It also made learning other languages easier.

Hope something in all this rambling helps! I'm sure you and your dd will make the right decision whatever you choose.

We followed LC2 with Henle and have really enjoyed it. However, I am also beta testing First Form Latin, the new middle school Latin program from Memoria Press. It is fabulous. It covers the material of Henle in a much more systematic way and has lots of drill to master that grammar. The layout is also superior to Henle and will be easier for younger kids. Each unit is introduced by a short biography of a Roman author with a passage of an original work for memorization and translation (ex. Casear's Gallic Wars.) The supplemental book will include puzzles, games, info on Roman culture and short readings. It really is an awesome program.

Memoria Press is extremely anxious to hear what people want in a middle school program and have been very open to our suggestions.

First Form is for grades 5-8 and the entire series (First, Second, Third, and Fourth Form) will replace Henle and will cover the entire Latin grammar.

. I am considering Henle because my oldest DS loves the format of LC. He actually likes that it has no variety so that he always knows what to expect.

Wendy,

My son is the same way. Henle is a vast departure in format from LC2. My son has done fine with it. But if you like the format of LC, then I would seriously consider First Form. See my post below.

My dd14 takes Latin through Lukeion.org, and she absolutely loves it. Their course is high school level, though they assume no Latin background (my dd had LCI and part of LCII). They use Wheelock's as their text, which my dd now recommends to anyone who loves Latin or wants to self-teach. She liked Latin and wanted to continue, but hated the LC program. Once she started with Lukeion and got into Wheelock's, she was learning at the quicker, deeper pace that suited her, and she loves her teacher. So, if you DID want your dd to start Latin again at some point, you could look into this option.

My dd will be in the eighth grade next year. We are so very tired of LCII and Latin in general. It's getting harder--maybe that's why we are growing weary of it. I was thinking of taking a break from Latin--maybe just being done with it for good. I was also toying with the idea of doing a roots study, but as I look at English from the Roots Up, I'm wondering if this would be too easy. She's already learned most of the roots either through Rummy Roots in 2nd and 3rd grade or through LC I and II.

I'm not sure what I think about continuing Latin at this point. Is it necessary? Any suggestions for where I might go from here? I really do see a benefit in learning Latin from a derivatives stand point. I just don't know about continuing with Latin grammar.

We are in the last section of LCII, and I just received my MP study guides for Henle I - it looks like there is a LOT of review from LC, which is a relief to me. It means we will get to solidify the Latin grammar we've learned so far and not have to learn too much new stuff just yet. Seeing the guides and the Henle book also gave me renewed strength to keep going, because it seems like the grammar has an end in sight, as we continue bit by methodical bit. I read somewhere on these boards a comment something along the lines of, why stop studying the grammar at the end of LC or in the middle of Henle I - it would sort of be a waste of all that hard work, when you are already partway through. That gave me hope, too. Also, I am starting to see how Latin grammar is going to give us a GREAT framework for further English grammar study, as well as Spanish grammar. The derivatives are just a side benefit.

We followed LC2 with Henle and have really enjoyed it. However, I am also beta testing First Form Latin, the new middle school Latin program from Memoria Press. It is fabulous. It covers the material of Henle in a much more systematic way and has lots of drill to master that grammar. The layout is also superior to Henle and will be easier for younger kids. Each unit is introduced by a short biography of a Roman author with a passage of an original work for memorization and translation (ex. Casear's Gallic Wars.) The supplemental book will include puzzles, games, info on Roman culture and short readings. It really is an awesome program.

Memoria Press is extremely anxious to hear what people want in a middle school program and have been very open to our suggestions.

First Form is for grades 5-8 and the entire series (First, Second, Third, and Fourth Form) will replace Henle and will cover the entire Latin grammar.

I just want to mention that I talked to someone at MP a few months ago, and he told me these First to Fourth Form books will replace Henle 1 (First Year Latin) - not all of the Henle series. He said First to Fourth Form is meant to cover Latin grammar in Henle 1, in a way that is 5th to 8th grade friendly, and spread over four years, since Henle 1 is written for one year of high school study. Also, not all will be ready anytime soon.

Henle after LC I and II has worked well for my three girls, 10,13, and 16. We are plugging through the summer so that we don't lose as much as we did this last summer.

My children, after 3 years of Latin, are starting to consider it more fun. It's work, hard work. But, I consider it work for their mind to become sharp and strong...and that can't be done with only "candy".

My kids have summer bds so they were all just barely their ages. I hope for them to finish Henle Latin I just after the end of next year and hopefully start Henle II in 2010.

Carrie:-)

Angelina,

Has MP given a date for when they might release First Form to the general public? An estimation at least.

Okay, I just learned that First Form will be released to the public Summer '09 with Second Form released in beta form in the Fall.

ETA: There will also be DVDs available. HTH

Edited by cajun.classical