Menu

Life of Fred? Supplement only?

KIN

I've just heard about Life of Fred and it looks so... fun! My ds will be done with RightStart math next year and I need a new program. I won't be ready to start VideoText Algebra (what RS recommends) just b/c he will only be in 5th grade. So, would Life of Fred be a good bridge for a few years? Or, can it be used exclusively up through Calculus? Or, should it be used as a supplement all the way through? How do you use Life of Fred? Thanks!

I am curious about this too.

We are doing LOF Fractions, Decimals, and Beginning Algebra this year in 7th grade. I started this after TT Pre-Algebra was not working so well for us this year.

So, if the other books are as fast as these, will we finish high school math in 10th grade?? Is that a problem? Or should LOF be a "background" math for something else (I was looking at this with MUS)?

I do love LOF and highly recommend it. I know this answer was of no help :o sorry about that

We have been using LoF Algebra along with MUS Algebra this year. While ds thinks it's amusing, he needs quite a bit of help on the problems. It's challenging, but not as clear as I'd like. But, then we are also more of just-the-facts-ma'am kind of folks here. LoF kind of rambles on, albeit amusingly.

As to using it exclusively throughout high school, I agree with Kathy in MD in this thread:

Added: I think some will be reluctant to use it as a stand alone program until it has more of a track record on these boards, because something so fun shouldn't be so good. OTOH, some may be forseeing trying to explain to the admission officer at MIT that a book titled Life of Fred IS a serious calculus text.

Okay, Sue that makes it easier to plan. I am seriously leaning toward MUS Algebra with LOF as a backup. By the way, the MUS folks told me their prices were going up in March. Our rep said at least $10 and perhaps as much as $20. I am not ready to commit to Algebra yet. Dd could not pass the placement test NOW, but who knows what she will be able to do with just over 3 months in my calendar to complete. I want to see how LOF Algebra goes first.