Menu

Canning Meat

I'm taking an online food preservation class and in it has been mentioned canning meat. As a vegetarian I haven't persued any info on it but at least it's possible.

What is stressed time and again in this little class is that you must follow a tested and approved recipe. The book that seems to be the bible of home canning is the Ball Blue book. I don't remember the exact title. I don't have it yet but it seems to be the one everyone recommends. It does have a chapter on meats. Here is a link to the table of contents.

http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/images/art/BK2140TC.jpg

Echoing what the others have said. You MSUT follow an approved and tested recipe. You also MUST have a pressure canner; please note that this is a different pot than a regular pressure cooker. Processing times for meat are long, btw.

Ria

I've canned meat before but as a general rule, I don't like the taste. IF I was going to can meat anymore, I would do it within a soup. Yes, you MUST follow the guidelines and you MUST have a pressure canner. I can a lot and would be happy to help you with any specific questions.

There is a great yahoo group called canning2. The wealth of knowledge on that group is amazing! However, you still need a pressure canner and the USDA guidelines.

I have canned shredded chicken. You can use whatever recipe you like to cook your food - but then, as others have pointed out, you have to follow very specific timing directions for canning the meat. So I cooked my chicken, shredded & seasoned it, then processed it for what seemed like *forever* in the pressure canner. I thought it would be overcooked by the time it was done, but when we used it later it tasted fine. I used it in tacos, enchiladas, etc. I haven't done it again because...well, it was just a lot of trouble. I usually freeze stuff when I do bulk cooking.

I also canned the broth from cooking the chicken. That was very handy to have around.

Thank you everyone!

Based on your comments, we have decided to forego canning meat for the time being. We'll come back around to it when things settle a bit around here . . . In the meantime, I'm going to dig out my Ball Canning Book and start reading up on it anyway.

I really appreciate all the help you ladies give!:)