Menu

My dd an only child has 2 friends moving away...

My almost 10 year old dd is an only child. We live in a quiet neigborhood on a cul-de-sac. It's all nice, but these are older, smaller homes and people who move in with kids don't stay because they realize it's too small and move on, or are expecting another child and need more space.

There are about 10 houses on our street. 2 sisters up the street go to the ps and they and my dd have befriended one another. This is also true of a single mom with an only dd who just turned 7.

The 2 are moving because baby 3 is arriving in the fall. The other little girl only child may be moving.....Mom wants to return to Africa or maybe move to NZ or Australia.

All of this to say my dd will be the only kid on the street "again". And, there are very few kids in the neigborhood. I've always homeschooled and enjoy it, but it is a parttime job looking for a friend for my dd. Her friends up and move far away and 45 minutes one way for a play date is a little much on a regular basis. The other kids have siblings and don't have as much as a "need" for "outside" friends. Additionally, these kids live in other neigborhoods where there are more kids. It seems like kids already have their "set" friends to life, like Moms. Am I missing something here? Is it too time consuming to be open for a Mom/dd to "start" a new friendship?

We go to Bible study on Th and church on Sun, but nothing develops.

We had planned on moving, but with the economy.........need I say more?

Any advice? Thanks. Sheryl <><

I'm sorry. It's hard to be the one left behind. I think new opportunities will avail themselves. You might need to do a little traveling once a week for a play date with a family you both enjoy but you could use the car time to listen to a story together or other school work. As she gets older and her interests develop you might find an activity that works for you, sports, art, music, museum class. I'll pray some friends show up. :)

Is there a homeschool support group in the area that you might find a good fit? That is the main source of good friends for my only child, even though we live in a neighborhood with a lot of kids. You might also check to see if the local library has afterschool type activities, etc where your daughter could meet others.

Is there a homeschool support group in the area that you might find a good fit? That is the main source of good friends for my only child, even though we live in a neighborhood with a lot of kids. You might also check to see if the local library has afterschool type activities, etc where your daughter could meet others.

This is one of the reasons I started Classical Conversations. A place for my children to be with like minded families. She's had a hard time with real friends. Unlike her next older sister, who seems to have friends who are allowed to spend the night, my daughter's church friends just aren't allowed to be very social.

SO, she does ballet twice a week (with almost all homeschoolers). Awanas and Classical Conversations on Wednesdays. Because we see these kids every week and she gets to interact during lunch with them...it seems to help the lonelies....

We are also planning to continue Wednesday get togethers by having Wed field trips. I'm hoping this helps. Both of my littles get lonely. They are 5 and 10 (b & g) and it's just kinda hard when there aren't others...

OH...and if you don't want to pay to get together...you can always lead something.

The church that we just started, has a community art class for 6 wks at a time. It's free! Who could resist? And, the pastor and his wife have a REALLY nice 10 year old...I'm hoping that perhaps a friendship can develop there.

Carrie;-)

I appreciate ALL of these responses. It is such an encouragement to me to help my daughter!!

I've prayed about this....for her to develop friends. We get involved in activities, but I'm talking about a girl friend, 2 or 3 good friends who will call and ask her to come over, go to a movie, spend the night and she the same with them.

Currently I'm starting a co-op for other homeschooling families. We live in Charlotte with a large h'school community. It will offer tons of enrichment classes, and almost free as parents volunteer teach or perform some other co-op duty. This has been TIME CONSUMING to write and submit this request to pastor, speaking with and meeting with pastors and so on. Seven churches will let me know this week or next if they will accept us renting rooms. Many indicated they would so I would choose a great, convenient location with a church that has several rooms, kitchen for cooking class, field for sports and/or gymnasium, nursery w/cribs, etc.

Thanks y'all. Sheryl <><

So, I hope it happens for you. For us, my daughter doesn't have this yet. Even friends who she loves to run around with at events...just don't invited her over...ever....

She has friends that seem to like her, but maybe they just don't invite friends over? I know we're very careful about friends over... My husband, though great guy...maybe because he's a great guy, has decided to never be with an unrelated girl...especially a young one. I know a lot of families who are the same...and this protection may lead to the fact that they just don't have kids spend the nights.

I kinda miss the days when kids got to be kids...( I know...this leads to problems, too sometimes...)

Carrie:-)

So, I hope it happens for you. For us, my daughter doesn't have this yet. Even friends who she loves to run around with at events...just don't invited her over...ever....

She has friends that seem to like her, but maybe they just don't invite friends over? I know we're very careful about friends over... My husband, though great guy...maybe because he's a great guy, has decided to never be with an unrelated girl...especially a young one. I know a lot of families who are the same...and this protection may lead to the fact that they just don't have kids spend the nights.

I kinda miss the days when kids got to be kids...( I know...this leads to problems, too sometimes...)

Carrie:-)