Menu

SOTW 2 + activity guide for 6th grade -- is it enough?

TrixieB

Next year I will have 3rd & 6th grade dc, and will be using SOTW 2 + the activity guide. This should be quite sufficient for my 3rd grader, but is it "enough" for a 6th grader? I plan to have her read some historical fiction, biographies, etc. pulling books from Sonlight 6 and WTM reading lists, and reading the Kingfisher pages indicated in the AG. She'll do mapwork too.

Do I need to buy some other kind of textbook, or buy the Sonlight 6 IG for the schedule/comprehension questions/helps, or ??? I tried History Odyssey Ancients level 2 this year; she thoroughly dislikes it (too dry, I think, and too much emphasis on the KF with not enough "real" reading).

Edited by TrixieB

Since you have HO, you may want to use the activities and reports and what not they require of children this age. (I've only seen the on-line samples and I have to say, I'm impressed. But I can see how it might not suit.)

As for reading material, supplementing with KF and other texts should be mandatory, I'd think. What about having her read Van Loom on her own?

If you like, I can send you a document I made which correlates some texts at mainlesson(dot)com with SoTW2. (Includes the Famous Men of...by Haaren and books by M. B. Synge.) (PM me with your e-mail addy.)

Edited by Alana in Canada

I think it depends on whether you want to include a writing or analysis component to the history. We used History Odyssey 2 last year (Middle Ages, 6th grade) and this year (finishing Middle Ages, then Early Modern; 7th grade). Over time my son has become more accepting of the reading, analysis, and writing that History Odyssey assigns.

If you want to stick with SOTW, I would add plenty of other reading (fun!), and decide how to include analysis and writing -- whether with the history or elsewhere in your child's studies.

Good luck!

I'm using SOTW 3 with my 2nd and 5th graders. My 5th grader has to do additional outlining (of an outside source), longer summaries that he writes on his own and incorporates extra reading he does, and I use Uncle Josh's maps cd to make maps with more things for him to fill in than his younger brother. Also, I will usually do a Google search of the topic we're covering, and if I see an interesting worksheet/activity for his level I print that out for him as well.

We will likely still be doing SOTW 3 at the beginning of next year, then moving into 4 later in that year. For now the plan is to continue with this same level of work.

I am using Story of the World 3 with a 13 and 11 year old. Both children answer the questions in Activity Guide, both do a narration, we then do the map work.

I have created a schedule for adding in more challenging reading and essays; challenging radio programmes; more suitable activities and a UK slant. I am still to add some essay questions but here it is so far.

I am using Story of the World 3 with a 13 and 11 year old. Both children answer the questions in Activity Guide, both do a narration, we then do the map work.

I have created a schedule for adding in more challenging reading and essays; challenging radio programmes; more suitable activities and a UK slant. I am still to add some essay questions but here it is so far.

Lorna, I am totally going to steal your schedule format! I have a somewhat similar one that I've never been totally happy with - - great idea including the essay topics.

That's essentially what my 6th grader is doing this year. We do SOTW 2 with the activity guide as a family, but he reads/outlines Kingfisher and writes 1-2 pages on a chosen topic on his own. I also try to assign a book a week, either historical fiction or a biography. His mapwork is entirely from the activity guide. It's working very well for us.

My ds loathed HO level 2 as well. The WTM method is much simpler as accomplishes just as much. :001_smile:

HTH!