Menu

Pop-top Westfalia-type campers...would we regret buying one?

Any pop-top camper owners out there? We camp a lot in the summers. We need a new-to-us car. Every summer as I set up the tent again and again I wish for some kind of camper. I gaze across the campgrounds at women cooking in their RVs as I hunch over my Coleman stove for the 15th year.

I so much want a door to close when we camp. And a heater.

If you have owned one of these, could you share your experience with me? Did you love it? Hate it? Was it dependable? Convenient to camp in? Or was it just as much hassle as a tent? How did it drive?

Sigh...I have a happy fantasy about owning one. So do my kids. My husband does not share this fantasy. ;)

We had a Westie in the past and really loved it. It was great for quick get up and go camping. I liked having the fridge and stove. It was nice to be able to not have soot all over the pans, and to be able to do something simple like make grilled cheese in a process that didn't involve an hour of prep.

The beds were easy to fold/unfold and were okay comfortable wise...not great but better than the ground.

When it rained we weren't soaked, and we could heat the inside somewhat when it was cold out.

You still get the camping feeling, when your out because you can still do everything you do camping....but you have the option of the camper too.

We have talked many times about getting another one. We just haven't put the effort into it. :0)

DH says.......Vws have long been the love it or hate it car. People love to drive them, but they can be quirky, sometimes requiring attention maintenance wise.

ETA>>>I know the topic of Westfalias has come up before you may search the forums with both the word Westfalia and Westie and see if there is anything in those posts to help you too.

Guest Virginia Dawn

We had one when I was a kid. It was the only vehicle we owned at the time. When we went camping, my parents slept up in the top, my brothers in the back on the floor in sleeping bags, and I slept on the back seat.

I think the interiors have changed a lot since the 70's. But I imagine they are still just as cozy (small). I don't think you would want to spend all your time in one, just as a place to sleep and get out of the elements. I think the advantages over tent camping would be not having to sleep on the ground and more comfort in cold weather. No showers or toilets, though.