Menu

FLL vs Shurley

Pine Ledge Academy

I have used FLL for K/1st, going halfway through the 2nd grade section in 1st, then switched to Shurley 2 for 2nd grade with my older 2 dd. I was wondering the pros and cons of the later grades of FLL..I know nothing about them but I really like the first book and am a little Shurley tired. I am considering using the FLL in place of Shurley for the ds's. Thanks.

The later FLL's are very different in format than 1/2. Workbook style and less oral activities.

Personally, 1/2 was hard for us to get through, but I love FLL 3 and 4. The focus on diagramming is broken down into easy, understandable lessons and parts of speech that I never "got" are now clear.

We used ABeka before FLL 3 came out and although, it was a good program, I very much prefer the FLL style and content.

We did FLL 1/2 at our own pace (highly condensed, skipping much of the repetition), then went to SG2. SG2 has so little content that it sort of drags the whole process out and makes everything seem awful. You're able to skip levels with Shurley, so we then went to SG4. With taking time off with the pregnancy and not making grammar a focus, we're still plodding through it. We're REALLY enjoying ourselves with it now, and I was just pondering whether I'd do SG2 with my new little one when we got there or skip. I think I would, but I'd probably take it easy, maybe even skipping half of it. It's just too much time on such simple stuff, makes it seem like a bigger deal than it is.

I'm really delighted with the way she thinks through things in SG4, so I highly recommend it. FLL 3 and 4 weren't out when we were at that point, so we went to Shurley, having tried and gagged on R&S. I have nothing bad to say about FLL3 or 4, which seemed perfectly fine. However I will say that we are enjoying our Shurley time, especially the SHORT, short lessons. I use the practice booklet with the sentences already typed out. It has 2-3 sentences per session, and we then diagram one on the whiteboard. It's so painless, brief, and effective. So it might be that if you just can SG2 and move on to the next level in the fall, you'll find that solves your problem.