Menu

What kind of afterschooling do you do for a 12-13yo??

I have not really done much afterschooling because I feel like they would be too tired, but I just don't see them getting a really stong foundation in math or english. I don't want to burn them out, but I am getting concerned. I am thinking of having them do Abeka for grammar, but what about math? If I brought out the Saxon, they will freak!! lol!!

Also, what do you do if they get a bad grade?? Do you punish them? For example, my children usually make all A's in daily work with a few B's thrown in here and there... but sometimes they will BOMB something and make like a 33 or something on it:tongue_smilie:... Also, every once in awhile they will drag to get an assignment turned in and I am unsure as to how to handle this. Advice??

If my son, 13, had As in school, I wouldnt make him do more math. (Thats just me!) ....ok...I had to add in....you could do a shorter math program like Life with Fred. My son is enjoying that math program and it doesnt take long!

I would add in subjects like art, language, history, logic, or writing if they needed it. I afterschool with history mainly with my girls, but they are young. My son had too much work when he was in school. I just added some readers and he enjoyed that. My girls do SL history after school and they love it. I dont think they get much history at school. My dd is afterschooling with IEW writing but she wants to learn how to write better. She also uses Wordly wise for vocab. She enjoys that.

I have not really done much afterschooling because I feel like they would be too tired, but I just don't see them getting a really stong foundation in math or english. I don't want to burn them out, but I am getting concerned. I am thinking of having them do Abeka for grammar, but what about math? If I brought out the Saxon, they will freak!! lol!!

Also, what do you do if they get a bad grade?? Do you punish them? For example, my children usually make all A's in daily work with a few B's thrown in here and there... but sometimes they will BOMB something and make like a 33 or something on it:tongue_smilie:... Also, every once in awhile they will drag to get an assignment turned in and I am unsure as to how to handle this. Advice??

I focus on Spanish, since I am a native speaker and it is esential for my children to communicate with my family back in Spain. Other than that I am happy with the foundation my 12 yo is getting in both math and English. She is an avid reader, so she does that on her own, and I get her to do Math at least 5 days a week during school breaks.

As far as getting a low grade, it depends on why. If it was that she just didn't get it but was trying hard and did everything she could, including asking her teachers/us for help, then I just make sure we discuss alternative ways of studying/preparing and follow through with whatever changes we agree on. If it is because she didn't study/prepare well enough, then she loses priviledges until she brings up her grades to show me that she is responsible enough to handle the distractions of priviledges without them affecting her work. You don't get "paid" if you are careless at your job.

My ds was getting A's and B's all though elem. school and still did not know his math facts (counted on his fingers in 6th grade), the difference between a noun from a verb (let alone other parts of speech), how to outline, spell, and many more things.

What is it about the math and english that you think is not a good foundation? Do you see problems in their work?

Unless you are planning to apply for a magnet/elite/etc. high school, grades do not count until high school. An occasional low grade isn't going to make any difference unless it is because of a poor work ethic. That can lead to more dragging and THAT can impact them down the road in high school.

As for punishment, ds1 had video games taken away, ds2 has his computer taken away but none of it until high school.

Like I said, JMHO.

My thoughts on grades: if it won't keep you out of Harvard, we aren't going to make a big deal over it.

As for afterschooling... I do help him pick his outside class reading, and we pick based on LCC. I do email his English teacher to make sure it won't be a required book later in the year. We think math is fun, so we all do a lot of math. I am an AP Calculus teacher and my DH is an engineer, so math just happens naturally at our house. We do a lot of history and science by reading articles, books, essays, and excerpts. Mostly we do nonstressful stuff. I think of it more as living an educated/educating lifestyle than trying to do a certain curriculum.

Of course, high school starts next year, so things may change.