Menu

Disappointed ds - WWYD?

The PS are off this week for mid-winter break. Last night, my 8 yo ds took a phone call from a friend asking him to go bowling with this other family. This other family and ours often take each others children places, so my ds asked, "Do you mean only me or my other brothers too?" The other child said, "You and Andrew." (8 and 10 yo ds)

Today I dropped off the two children and the parents (awkwardly) said, "We only have room for one." So, I told my 10 yo to get back into our car. I could tell he was disappointed, but he was a gentleman about it. This other family offered to take two cars down, but I couldn't let them do that.

Right now I have a VERY disappointed 10 yo ds. Besides hugging him, is there anything else I can do? I think I"ll make cookies for him or something. My heart is breaking for him!

Oh - and I know that next time I'll get on the phone iwth the parents myself before finalizing any plans!!

Oh, poor guy!

But on the other hand, I'd view this as a character-building experience. "I know you're disappointed, but I can't tell you how proud I am of the way that you handled that. I can really see the young man you're growing into when you face disappointment like that with grace and patience."

Because, you know, even cookies (while always a fantastic idea!) won't take away the disappointment -- but it won't be the last time he's disappointed and hurt, and knowing that he got through this and that you were proud of him will help him the next time.

Oh, poor guy!

But on the other hand, I'd view this as a character-building experience. "I know you're disappointed, but I can't tell you how proud I am of the way that you handled that. I can really see the young man you're growing into when you face disappointment like that with grace and patience."

Because, you know, even cookies (while always a fantastic idea!) won't take away the disappointment -- but it won't be the last time he's disappointed and hurt, and knowing that he got through this and that you were proud of him will help him the next time.

Wonderful response!