Menu

SOTW 4 and little ones

Sara in WA

Is it my imagination or did I read somewhere that SOTW 4 is not recommended for kids younger than 4th grade? Perhaps due to details of the modern wars? I don't have SOTW 4, so I don't know its exact contents.

We've enjoyed SOTW 1-3 and so vol 4 is up for next year, but it would be for our dd who will be ages 5, 7 and 9 (and tag along ds 3).

I'm also considering MFW Exploring Countries and Cultures, so if the above is the case, perhaps we'll go that route for a year. So many decisions, too many options!

Thank you.

I have heard that it can be hard on younger ones. I also heard that SWB was going to try to write an AG or something for youngers for SOTW 4. It would be one of many things on her plate though.

I haven't gotten to that point yet, but it is on my mind since Becca would reach it at a younger age and Sylvia would only be in K/1 at that time. I have a couple more years to think of options.

Just reading the book would be fine as far as subject matter. It is the AG and the grade level of the book that cause the problem. It is much different than the other levels. Uses outlining, has no coloring pages, fewer activities, and the mapping is handled differently. You have to fill in all of the names of countries on a blank map and there is very little coloring or drawing arrows showing who invaded who etc. The book is much longer (474 pages of chapters) and the writing is written at a higher grade level with many more words per page.

MFW has a suppement for 3rd grade and younger when they do SOTW 4 in 1850 to modern. They mark readings with a black square that are not appropriate to read to the younger ones and have alternate books and activities for them.

ECC would be a good choice though and then you could do modern times later.