Menu

Funny ds3 said about ds1 university...

So we went to visit ds1 at school. I wanted the other boys to see how their brother lived (ie, very, very small dorm room, 3 flights of stairs, etc.) so that they would be a little compassionate rather than thinking he was off having such a fantastic time. Standing in line behind some rather cute young ladies, my ds (age 14) commented, "Wow! This is like hitting the mother lode! They don't make them like that in X (our hometown)".

Note to self: Keep this one at the local university for a couple of years :D

When my ds gets teased occasionally for being in an irish dance company, he just gives a somewhat wicked smile and says "Yeah, two guys, 20 cute girls.....and the problem is?????"

My sons head off any undesirable comments about doing gymnastics like that, with the added bonus of leotards.

And my son is in synchronised swimming! Yeah, one boy, 80+ girls! (he's the only boy in the whole club!). Swimsuits, wet bodies...

Yep, that's what I always tell my son about ballet, too. He, too, is too young to care right now, but I've assured him that hanging out with a bunch of girls in leotards and being the only (or one of three) guys in the room will make him an object of envy in a few years.

Not to mention he'll even be able to dance . . .

I have/had 3 boys in gymnastics. They are now 21, 18, and 14. The boys and girls are together, scantily clad, almost every evening. It sounds like a recipe for disaster, but judging by things my children have said from time to time, and their obvious confidence in themselves and self-assurance and poise and unself-conciousness and even better, firm grip on themselves, the whole situation has been a good one. These kids have spent years having to ignore each other and concentrate on their own work. Getting distracted is immediately painful, bringing bumps and falls. Just what you want, in my opinion. We were very firm on look-but-don't-touch, stay-away-from-anyone-younger, and being-a-teenager-is-complicated-enough-without-adding-a-relationship. I've watched the swimteams at the meets at the local Y and it seems like the teams are friendly and natural with each other. I wouldn't worry. It is probably like living in a coed dorm - you wind up more sibling-like.

-Nan

Maybe my 5 year old would really take ballet, if he understood what he'd be surrounded by in a few years. Lucky for me, I think he'll be content to just play in the back yard with the dog...

We really have asked him if he wants to do ballet like his big sis, since he has a body that is like elastic, and yet he's very strong.... Hmmm.

Carrie:-)

These kids have spent years having to ignore each other and concentrate on their own work. Getting distracted is immediately painful, bringing bumps and falls. Just what you want, in my opinion. We were very firm on look-but-don't-touch, stay-away-from-anyone-younger, and being-a-teenager-is-complicated-enough-without-adding-a-relationship. I've watched the swimteams at the meets at the local Y and it seems like the teams are friendly and natural with each other. I wouldn't worry. It is probably like living in a coed dorm - you wind up more sibling-like.

-Nan

Ah, but that's where synchronized swimming is different. It's a contact sport. Gymnastics and swim teams, you're on your own. You really have no reason to touch the other person.

Synchronized swimming can get very personal in the lifts. There's one technique where the person being lifted, is lifted by the crotch! The one doing the lift is upside down, and has a foot in the crotch, or quite near.

underwater%20prepare%20lift.jpg

There's a lot of *touching* going on underwater...

And see this one?

pearls_u021407_d_cmykb.jpg

Well, already at practice, my son is the platform, the body where the girl standing is standing. Check where her feet are! Yikes!

Edited by CleoQc

But I still think it will turn out to be ok. It is touching with a legitimate purpose, under strict guidelines. If more of this happened, perhaps there would be less unauthorized touching going on? Your son will be thinking about these things anyway, and this is just going to ensure that he has a good command of himself. All boys have to learn to keep themselves from thinking. Believe me, he is going to learn really fast wearing a bathing suit. And he will learn that not all touching or swimsuits are an invitation. Another good lesson. Anyway, I suspect he's going to be working too hard to think much, anyway, judging by what my sons say. It will be far more like, "Oof - you weigh a ton. And if you step there I'm going to drown you."

-Nan

Oh I still think it will work out okay, at least he's starting young. So he'll grow into it (pardon the pun!)

In fact, I was never worried with his idea of doing synchronized swimming until I learned that the 'top guy' in the US slept with every single girl on his team. Oh boy... Oh, that's hearsay btw, but it's enough to get a mom thinking.

Sometimes those very competative, very closed situations, where you don't see people other than the ones you work with, and you work all the time and don't do a variety of other things, are unhealthy. I wouldn't judge the majority of the teams by the top one. It seems like things always get weird at the top of anything. Just don't let him do it to the exclusion of all else, and you should be fine GRIN. And watch the culture at your pool. We've found some gyms are healthy places and some are unhealthy places. I can see why you'd find the rumour upsetting, though.

-Nan