Menu

How many 3in. binders do I need?

For that price? I'd buy a half-dozen. Assuming they're D-ring (the round ones seem to go on sale all the time here, but never the D's). I don't use them in the WTM notebook way, but for lots of other stuff. Also, I buy the paperback activity guides for SOTW and get the binding ripped off and put it in a 3-ring binder, and 3" is just right for that.

Not to be tacky, but if they're not the really good ones (Avery Heavy Duty Reference with the soft-close D rings that the office supply sells), then I wouldn't buy them. I bought some cheap ones on clearance from Target years ago, stocking up like you say, then I fell in love with the super-quality ones. Now the cheapy ones sit unloved, unused. When you open and shut them a lot, the extra couple bucks is WORTH it to get the good ones. They go on sale in the fall, and that's when I stock up. Also, I prefer the 2", not the 3". The 2" is really about as big as you want to deal with. It fits your hand, holds an entire year of something (VP history pages, etc.). I'd rather deal with two 2" binders than a single 3". And even if you prefer the opposite, you won't know that till you DO it, kwim? But definitely, definitely hold out for the Avery Heavy Duty Reference binders. You'll be SO glad you did. We use ours a lot, doing notebooking for WP AC, and they are SO nice.

PS. I guess that all could sound kind of snootish. If these clearance binders fit your budget, by all means do them. But if you have the flexibility, I prefer the Avery Heavy Duty Reference binders. And if you happen to have that option to buy them cheap, then stock up in ALL sizes, because I guarantee you'll use them! :)

Edited by OhElizabeth

I guess I'll be the dissenting voice. I don't use them at all. They would sit in my cupboard completely useless. I don't buy anything in advance, even stationary because I've learnt that what I think I may use in years to come I often don't. I have heaps of stationary in my cupboard that may never see a childs pencil.

I buy what you need when I need it or just before I need it.