Menu

Paypal questions

I've used Paypal to pay people for things, but I've never used it to receive money. Is there anything I have to do to set it up to receive money? I have some homeschool items that I want to sell, and I think people like to use Paypal more, so I'd really appreciate help!

Thanks!

If you are selling books on Ebay, you must have a "Premier Paypal Account".

If you are selling books on homeschooling websites, a "Personal Paypal Account" is sufficient. Sometimes people call "Personal Paypal Account" a non-credit card account.

After a person decides to buy your books, all you have to do is give them the email address to which your paypal account is connected to. They will go to their paypal account and send money to the email address you indicated.

If you have a personal account, you can only receive credit card payments 5 times before you have to upgrade. You will also be charged a fee for those payments. Instant transfers and e-checks have no charge for a personal account. If you upgrade to a premier or business account, all funds you receive are charged a fee.

I just limit my sales to non-credit card sales unless someone specifically asks and then they pay the extra fee. On E-bay you put that restriction so I don't list Pay Pal as an option as I hardly ever sell on E-bay.

The money will go into your Paypal account, which you can then use to make purchases. Paypal will deplete your Paypal account before going into your checking account.

After a certain period of time (60 days?), they will deposit the money into your checking account. I don't remember exactly how this works because I never seem to be able to keep money in my Paypal account long enough without spending it! :)

On E-bay you put that restriction so I don't list Pay Pal as an option as I hardly ever sell on E-bay.

Unfortunately, Ebay changed their rules. Now, as a seller you have to have "Premier Paypal Account" in order to sell. And you will be charged I think 3.9% per transaction. You have to look at the "fees" section of Paypal.

Last time I tried to sell on Ebay with my "Personal Account", Paypal upgraded my account (without any advanced notice) to "Premier Account" once I accepted payment from "Premier Account".

Outside of Ebay, you can accept credit card payments (Premier Account) 5 times per year with a fee of 3.9% or 4.9% per transaction (I can't remember which).

I always ask the buyer if they have "Personal" or "Premier" account ahead of time.