Menu

I'm making bread in my bread machine with freshly milled wheat flour...

But my bread keeps collapsing in the middle. Can I not substitute the wheat flour that I grind for bread flour on the recipe? Do I need more or less flour?

I've made successful bread loaves with store bought bread flour based on a simple recipe of water, flour, honey, salt, and yeast. Now I just want to use better flour. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated!

I'd probably start out with 15 oz of the freshly milled flour plus some dough enhancer/high gluten flour. Unfortunately, it's kind of trial & error with a bread machine. When you're kneading by hand you can just add flour until the dough feels right.

You don't change the amount of water b/c you're using the same amount of flour weight-wise; the volume is just different.

I've found that when using a bread machine, there is no way to know how the bread will turn out. I make a favorite recipe all the time:

1 2/3 cup water

2 cups freshly milled whole wheat flour

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 tsp salt

1 T gluten

2 1/4 tst yeast

It turns out differently. Sometimes the loaf is nicely rounded. Most of the time the center is flat. I give up. I've been making this same recipe for three years.

It tastes good. That's all I'm caring about right now, lol.

Ria