Menu

Reading Comprehension

TCoppock

Is there a good program out there that checks reading comprehension? We are currently just using the progeny press guides but my DS really dislikes them. When he was in private school they used Reading Counts and he absolutely loved it. He liked the fact that he had a score and always tried to beat the previous months total. I would really like a program similar to that if possible but dont know if there is anything available.

My ds, age 9, really loved Reading Detective (Beginning) this year. It is designed to check and improve reading comprehension, using one page stories, followed by a page of questions. I liked that he was required to identify the sentence or sentences which supported his answers, as this required him to read much more carefully than he otherwise would have.

We have finished the book for this year, but he has already asked if we can do the next level next year -- he enjoyed it that much!

I believe there are four levels of this program.

I was recently recommended the following book & answer key:

http://www.bhibooks.net/catalog/item/4154960/4106148.htm

http://www.bhibooks.net/catalog/item/4154960/4106161.htm

It has been a wonderful addition to our homeschool. The reading comprehension tests are timed for 3 minutes. Based on the number missed there is a guide at the bottom of the page which indicates their reading comprehension level. I've been tracking my older boys' reading comp level, and there has been marked improvement. This quick little exercise is done along with our spelling work.

Be sure to get this edition because the newer versions of the McCall-Crabbs have been simplified (I trying to find a nice word to fit here).