Menu

Things to see in Salt Lake City

There is a Heritage farm there, close to downtown but east and south of the University. Its very large and can take all day to visit. It has old homesteads and farms and shops from days gone by. On some days they have volunteers there to answer questions. I've been to a bunch of historical parks and this one was by far the most intersting.

Temple Square is really worth seeing as far as architecture and art.

Our favorite restaurants there were the Santa Fe (Mountain views, southwestern cuisine)

Red Iguana (Mexican) featured on Food TV. Moles are their specialty.

Red Butte Cafe (burgers and bistro food, good desserts)

There is an extensive indoor mall by the Temple Square and the ZCMI shopping center which has really good shopping. THe Joseph Smith Memorial Building has two restaurants upstairs that serve casual or fine cuisine, if you are stuck downtown. The Lionhouse Restaurant is a historical place that serves homemade foods and desserts.

The train is fun to take south then back. They have all of the facilities left over from the 2002 Olympics so there is always that. Ice Skating is downtown, as well.

THere is always the Great Salt Lake....If you have a car, its something to mark off your list.

Oh, and my kids loved seeing the Bingham copper mine, west of town.

The Red Butte Gardens make for a nice walk if the weather is nice

We liked the copper mine also, and we enjoyed walking around temple square and seeing the Morman temple. It is not easy to get too close to the actual lake, but I think that would be fun. The natural history museum is a pretty good one. The state capitol is a beautiful building.

Kenecott Copper Mine: the largest open-pit mine in North America (the world?). It's truly huge and has an interesting little visitor's center.

Thanksgiving Point: Just south of SLC, about 25 min. from downtown, has a very neat dinosaur museum with lots of interactive things, like a huge sand/water area where you can learn about erosion hands-on, an area where you can "dig" for your own bones, and tons of life-size dino skeletons.

Mountains: Go up to Snowbird ski resort (June may still be a little chilly so bring a jacket) and take the Tram to the top. The Tram holds about 75 people, and has amazing views. You can either hike down (takes about an hour), or take the tram back (no shame whatsoever in that!) Or, drive up to Park City (about 30 min. from downtown), which has lots of fun little boutique shops, art galleries, restaurants, etc. At the base of Park City Mountain Resort, there is an alpine slide, zip line, horseback riding, etc. - all lots of fun.

Discovery Gateway: This is a very fun, new children's museum in downtown Salt Lake, at the Gateway mall. Mostly for the younger crowd (although my 10-year-old still loves it), lots of hands-on, fun, educational stuff. There's also a planetarium at Gateway, and we're looking forward to expanded exhibits!

The Family History Library is the largest repository of genealogical records in the world.:001_smile: I used to go there a lot pre-children. Now I'm lucky to make it once a year.

The copper mine road will be closed this time of year due to ice and snow.

The ZCMI shopping center is also currently being demolished. My boys like to go downtown just to watch all the construction going on. :D But there is the Gateway, and the Discovery museum is good (if you have kids) and we like the free exhibits at the planetarium there too.

You can see the Great Salt Lake up close if you drive on the causeway out to Antelope Island.

Other things I would suggest--

The state capitol is nice. There's the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers museum that is free admission I believe.

If you take TRAX to the Univ. of Utah, there's an Olympic museum and the cauldron up there by the stadium. We also like the Olympic park with the bobsled and ski jumps up by Park City. At this time of year, there might be events going on.

Also on the TRAX line downtown is our main public library, one of the best in the country. We practically live there. :D It's one of our favorite places--5 stories, amazing architecture, play rooms, not to mention the books, it's a homeschooler's dream!

Temple Square is always worth seeing, and there are free organ recitals in the Tabernacle at noon every day. I'd also recommend a tour of the Conference Center, the 21,000 seat hall is impressive.

Edited to add: If you're there over a weekend, don't miss the Tabernacle Choir's program Music and the Spoken Word at 9:30 every Sunday morning in the Tabernacle. It's free, doors open at 8:30 I think. They also practice on Thursday nights if you get the chance to listen in.

Edited by Kristiana

The copper mine is awesome! We lived just outside of it for awhile. The kids will LOVE it!

If you can get in to watch/listen to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir practice, it is amazing!

The Joseph Smith Memorial building-you can get a guided tour which gives you some mormon history, the art is fabulous! The building is gorgeous and there are gardens on the roof (not pretty this time of year and closed if there's snow)

Thanksgiving point is neat, but expensive and you could easily spend a few days there. It is almost an hour south of SLC.