Menu

s/o: was anybody else's family supportive of homeschooling right from the get-go?

My family is very supportive. I can talk to them about what we are doing with our days and about curriculum. My db thinks I'm a bit weird for doing this but he bought my dd Minimus for her birthday one year and he gave her greek mythology books for Christmas this year.

My dh family, on the other hand, is very much against our homeschooling. It is the pink elephant in the room. We never talk about it. It is hurtful to hear them ask my nephew what he does at school but they never ask my kids.

People are supportive by making positive comments

Ah.

Umm, I can't remember any positive comments.

giving you things that help your homeschool,

No, no gifts either.

helping you problem-solve when things get tough

No, not help. But they wouldn't know when things get tough. And if they get tough, we adapt, so we tend to iron out our own problems as they appear.

:confused: Yikes!

My relatives are all unsupportive and I didn't know it :tongue_smilie:

...sigh...I'm always the last one to catch on.

I wonder whether I'm just not on some folks' radar, as someone else said. Perhaps some families just raise their own kids as they see fit (as we all here are doing ) and others do the same.

I can also consider the same questions with regard to family in private and public school, and wonder whether I have given them items for PS, helped them problem solve for Priv.School., said positive remarks about them PS or Priv.Sch, etc. I don't know that I have done that either. :confused:

Well, I did try to unload a few dozen pencils to my sister for her kids, but I was just ready to toss or freecycle them, and she had just as many and didn't want them anyway.

We are perhaps all not-supportive of each other?

:seeya: