Menu

Recipe for homemade Mayonnaise? Ellie?

Guest Katia

I have read threads on here that contain recipes for homemade mayonnaise and I'd always intended to copy them down......but didn't. Anyone care to post theirs, please? I'm pretty sure Ellie has one. Anyone else as well? TIA

courtesy of the Supermarket Handbook (which I no longer have so I can't give you page number or anything):

1 cup oil

1 egg

1-2 tsp. vinegar

1/2 tsp. each salt and dried mustard

Put 1/4 cup oil, egg, vinegar and seasonings in food processor or blender. Process for about 30 seconds. Add the rest of the oil; process for a minute or so.

I use light olive oil (extra virgin is not a good choice), but I've made it with other oils. Your choice.

I have used different kinds of vinegar, and lemon juice. Didn't like lemon juice, didn't like tarragon-flavored vinegar. Do NOT use distilled vinegar. Ever.

You *must* be sure to do the egg/oil/vinegar mix first; if you don't you'll end up with soup. Ask me how I know. Also, it's best to put the seasonings in at that time, too.

I have read threads on here that contain recipes for homemade mayonnaise and I'd always intended to copy them down......but didn't. Anyone care to post theirs, please? I'm pretty sure Ellie has one. Anyone else as well? TIA

This is the one I use and it's the best one I've tried. I make 1 1/2 the recipe that way I can use the full can of evap. milk.

http://healthy.hillbillyhousewife.com/lowcaloliveoilmayo.htm