Menu

Reading Issue

Guest Mimi2mychildren

Guest Mimi2mychildren

My 11 year old daughter has had an extremely hard time learning to read. Actually, it is not the reading but I am not sure what to call it. It is similar to an aphasia issue that someone who has had a stroke would have. She is very intelligent, has not had a problem with math, has a large vocabulary, and good reading comprehension skills. But here is the problem: if I ask her to find a particular word on a page, such as "comprehension", she can find it. But if I ask her to read the word to me before she knows what it "says" she cannot pull the name of the word out of her brain. She also had a very difficult time learning the "names" of her shapes. Same thing, if I pointed to the shape and asked her to name it she couldn't. But if I asked her to show me the rectangle, the triangle, etc, she could correctly identify all of them each time. It took her almost an entire school year working on this multiple times a week, before she could remember the "names" of the shapes. Has any one had this same issue with their child, and does any one have an idea of where to start with getting her extra help. She is reading much better now but we would like to give her the skills to read even better, and be comfortable reading out loud if she ever needs to do so. We would also like to see her reading at grade level.

My 13dd is similar. I don't have a lot of answers for you. My dd has some moderate to very severe (depending on the time) stuttering issues due to her not being able to find the word she is looking for. She can read aloud TOTALLY fluent but can't say the same sentences on her own as she can't find the word she needs.

When she was younger she could spell words but not read the same words.

For her it is seizures and other neurological issues.

A speech therapist might be able to help you out. I really wish I had more input but we haven't figured out out either.

My dd is mentally impaired and reading at a 2nd grade level.

Difficulty in retrieving the right word(s) is a part of dyslexia. My son does this and has some mild "symptoms" (for lack of a better word) of dyslexia. He will point to a banana and ask if he can have an apple. He misnames things all the time. My hubby does it too (has dyslexia/dysgraphia). Read some books in your local library, it helped me understand a lot. I was so frustrated as to why he could name a word in isolation, but couldn't read it in a sentence. It's a struggle we're still dealing with.

I also recommend The Writing Road to Reading--aka Spalding method for teaching reading, writing, and spelling. It was written with dyslexics in mind but applies to all kids. I'm using it with my son, and my hubby used it with great success 30 years ago.

It seems like something more than dyslexia. Have you had her evaluated by a neuropsychologist? I would start there. Your daughter could have many different issues or a combination of them. Until you know what is causing her difficulties, you won’t know how to treat it.

Another possibility could be dysgraphia. Many people think that dysgraphia is just bad handwriting, but it is actually a neurological impediment in which the brain had difficulty with “output.” So when asked to name something, your daughter may know it, but she can’t quite articulate it.

Educational therapy treats the “underlying causes of learning difficulties rather than simply treating the symptoms.” It’s not tutoring, but more of a remediation. You can read more here.

http://discoveryprogram-inc.com/EDTHERAPY.html