Menu

Competitive cheerleading - how did your child raise money?

Hi,

My daughter has discovered All-Star cheerleading. She is currently on a seasonal team, which is affordable for us. She LOVES it, and is doing a great job. She would love to tryout for the year round team and from indications we are getting from coaches she would be accepted, no problem. HOWEVER, this wonderful all year team costs $4000!!!

If we had that kind of $ she would probably be in Christian school!

How have your children personally raised money for "dreams" like this? The team does typical fundraising that goes toward travel expenses, but we have very little family, and they are supportive with prayer, encouragement, etc, but monetary support is difficult. Dd is very motivated to raise money, but we need ideas. (She is even willing to part with her American Girl dolls, at least 2 of the 3!)

Thanks for any and all advice!

Karen

Is she old enough to baby sit or be a mother's helper or to find some way to generate a little income taking care of pets or mowing lawns or getting mail for people out of town?

Honestly, my children's sports are expensive too. I refuse to participate in most fund raising. My approach is that I pay for my children and everyone else pays for theirs. My mother helps with music lessons. But if she can actually earn money working, I think she would feel so proud of herself!

$4000 might seem like an unattainable amount of money. However, what is the breakdown of costs? What is monthly dues, travel, uniforms, etc? How many costs are recurring and what costs are only every couple years?

Maybe you could cover dues and she strives to earn travel fees, etc. Is all travel expected? Are you required to pay for hair/make-up?

Hope you find a solution that works for you and your family.

fwiw, we don't have any family support as well. I watch others with envy (in a good way, really) having grandparents who can financially support their children. We just work extra hard for our kids to achieve their dreams.

I can't help alot with fundraising ideas as we don't have any family nearby and I won't let my kids go door to door....so we pay our own way, month by month.

That being said, this is my 8yos 5th season of AllStars and she loves it! good luck! What state are you guys in?