Menu

Do you think its possible to remediate this old hs mom into an Algebra teacher?

I have been presented with the opportunity to teach Algebra to local hs students. Problem is, I haven't seen an Algebra book in twenty years. I have a BS in Finance w/ a minor in Computer Information Systems from 20 yrs ago. I was a good math student, but teach Algebra?

I actually have been looking ahead to Algebra programs for my 6th grader, trying to be ready when we get there, but haven't settled on one yet. I think I could do this, if I could settle on a program and remediate myself. Lord knows we could really use the money this opportunity would give.

Do you think its possible? Could I give the students what they need?

From what I understand, the class would only meet once (possibly twice) a week. I'm having a hard time imaging how that would work. Two times a week I could possibly see, but only once, I'm not so sure about.

What program would you recommend for that situation? For my remediation?

I know this probably sounds crazy of me to even think I could do this, but I think I may be up to the challenge.

What say you??:bigear:

Thanks and Blessings,

Kim

Christine, thank you for your reply. We are in a very rural area that doesn't have many hsers (I suppose that explains the request for me to teach Algebra), so I don't think tutoring is an option. I personally don't even know a high school hser.

I knew this was a crazy idea, but I had a little hope it might could work. I guess from the number of views and only one reply, everyone else thought it was crazy as well.

Thank you again for taking time to reply.

Kim

I do not think you are crazy at all! After a 20 some year break from high school math, I started teaching 2 years ago. I opened the book over the summer and just started working problems. It does come back and I was able to teach Alg II, PreCalc and Calculus. It has been great from my brain and I love it. You will never know until you try!

Really push for 2x per week - one would be hard!

Edited by annabanana1992
more info

I'm currently using the Lial series for all of my classes. I'm able to teach the class once a week (1 hr)--but I've been doing this a while. I like this series because of the content and the clear examples. ALL of the teaching is in the student text--so more information/help is there if the student needs it Inexpensive video lessons are also available (Most of my students do not use these) if more help is needed. I still 'teach' the lesson--but I also model to the students HOW to use the text as a resource--most students (before high school math) have never had to rely on a Math text for teaching and learing how to use the text is important! I tend to follow the methods in the Lial program except for a few lessons on factoring polynomials. I prefer my method and I actually tell my students NOT to look at a few of the lessons in the text (I've done this with most of the other programs I've taught from too).

If you want to see my factoring method just e-mail me I have e-mail lessons prepared.

This series has lessons designed on a 'block' schedule so each lesson takes about 2 days to complete. For a once a week class you would present 2 lessons. For a twice a week class you would present 1 lesson...

I only assign the odd problems. I do assign ALL of the problems in the Chapter Review. I use the tests from the book.

I use either the 7th or the 8th editions--the 7th is easy to find and VERY inexpensive so most students/classes use it.

----

In the past I taught Saxon's Algebras in a co-op. We met once a week and I taught 3-4 lessons each week (1.5 hr class)

---

If you do decide to jump into teaching make sure you work through the text before you start the class. Also look for ALTERNATIVE ways to work the problems--it is important that the teacher know and UNDERSTAND different methods. Have 1-2 other texts available for references (and extra problems).

Feel free to e-mail/PM me if you ever need teaching ideas or helps!

Jann

TBH, I would (try to) work one text past where you intend to teach students. So if you intend to teach Algebra I, I would work ahead through Algebra II, etcetera. This helps both in cementing your own understanding, and in gaining an idea of which topics are of the most fundamental importance.

the time you're willing to give to it and your ability to manage groups of students. It isn't easy teaching classes like that, but it can be amazingly rewarding if you are a hard worker and up to the challenge. I don't have much of a life myself between homeschooling, teaching classes and grading and planning. I'm a math major but don't teach math classes beyond my own children at the moment because I teach Latin grades 2-high school and a bunch of other classes. I just encourage you to be prepared and have things figured out before you start. My neighbor teaches Algebra and Geometry classes and it can be a challenge with different skill levels etc. coming into the class. Perhaps they can have an entrance test to see they are all ready for the class. Keep things small at first until you learn the ropes. Consider the first year learning and don't just do it for the income. Build up a plan and a reputation. Go watch a great Algebra teacher in action if you can or talk to someone who is doing the same curriculum. I'm not a total wet blanket, just know that it wouldn't be a cakewalk. :001_smile:

Its been great to hear that others have done this, now its just time to figure out if "I" can do this. The first thing I will do is get an Algebra I & II book and see if I even understand it anymore!

Jann, thanks for the Lial's suggestion. I had it on my short list for my ds based on reading this board and researching. I will try to get my hands on a copy asap. I am also going to email you about your factoring method. Thanks for the offer!

I don't think you're a wet blanket, Christine. I'm more wet right now than anyone. I didn't want it to sound like I just wanted to do this for the money, although right now, it would be a tremendous perk. And I have no illusions about it being easy, I wonder if its even possible for someone like me to do something like this.

Its really funny they asked me to do this, bc last year we were involved in a co-op type school one county into the metro area where they wouldn't even allow me to sub for a K class bc I'm not "certified". Every time I offered to help or do something, "Well, you're not certified and we can't just let anyone teach the children." I helped out every week by vaccumming, taking out the trash, making copies for the real teachers, etc. while others that were less involved than me were called in to sub bc they were certified. Kind of takes the wind out of your sails and makes that college diploma seem rather useless. It really made me second guess if I was "good enough" to teach my own children.:( This offer just made me feel a little more "capable" I guess. Not that I probably am, just made me feel a little more so.

Thanks for all the input.

Kim

I used it to teach a small group of homeschoolers several years ago. It worked well for students of differing abilities and learning styles.

I love math and have tutored for years. I learned a lot by teaching Jacobs. I felt like I was finally learning the whys, not just the hows of solving many types of problems.