Menu

Puppy supply advice?

Plastic travel crate or metal?

I'd buy a metal one, that has and extra wall that you use to make the crate "smaller" until they're full grown.

Do you use a pad in the crate or wait until they are trained?

No pad...No blankies until they've passed the puppy stage. You don't want them to chew and swallow them up... or pee on them...that wouldn't help with crate training.

Harness, regular collar, or both? Short and/or longer lead?

I'd buy the collar and leash that has a life time warranty, if they're chewed...Can't remember what they're called, but they're cute...and groomers usually carry them...as well as Pet Smart. One long lead to use for training. (from a sports store in the hunting department)

Toys, are nylon bones okay for puppies? If you want to discourage chewing on the kids toy's, why buy puppy toys that are similar? Anyone stick with nylon bones or does the puppy need toys of his own?

Yup, I agree. I used kongs that were stuffed for our dog. I use real leg bones with marrow in them, but those that don't like raw food for dogs probably disagree with that. SO, kongs are great for chewing. I froze mine with their kibble that I'd added water to..and pressed in the kong. Frozen popsicles for puppies. Feed on a hard floor or kennel.

What size and kind of bowl? I'm thinking a small weighted stainless?

The ones that set in the little holders...And buy a couple extra bowls so you can rotate them through the dishwasher. My dog hops in the bathtub for water.

Are the furminators too rough for a pup? Do the mitt/brushes work?

Have no idea about these...Haven't used them. Our humane society has one you can try out. You take your pup there and try it.

Nails - Peticure?

I like to do this every 6 weeks. We're kinda broke, right now. We shower ours in the shower with the shower wand. For small puppies the kitchen sink or utility sink works.

Missing anything? (Food will start with whatever it's used to eating until seen by vet.)

Food, I'd just suggest a no grain diet, especially for puppies. One like Taste of the Wild or I think the other one is called Solid Gold.

I'd also suggest a good dog trainer where you go to weekly lessons and really learn how to train your dog. We have a great one in Oregon that is $85 for 8 weeks and you can go back free for life. It's really great and it has saved our dog more than once!

Carrie :bigear:

Edited by NayfiesMama

Plastic travel crate or metal?It really depends. Metal can be easier to clean but the hair will come out into the room more. We have both kinds. metal for my xlarge dogs and plastic for my small terrier(30lbs). I think metal would be cooler and easier to clean, for the size we would need couldn't it be used for car travel too?Yes, you could use the same one for car travel.

Buy one that fits the puppy now or that should fit when it's full grown?I like having the same one and just blocking part of the kennel for small puppy size but a pug will not go through much growing like mine so they would be in their adult size crate in not too much time.

Do you use a pad in the crate or wait until they are trained?depends on the puppy. If they are not prone to chewing cloth then they get a pad or thick blanket/fleece. I always prefer to pad for them but some think chewing the pads are more important so for their safety the get no pad while in their crates.

Harness, regular collar, or both? FOr a brachiocephalic dog like a pug I like a harness or a gentle leader. A regular nylon collar can be worn for tags though. Short and/or longer lead?I always prefer a 6 foot lead and 2 hadn control on it but again I have large dogs. I do not like flexi leads.:ack2:

Toys, are nylon bones okay for puppies? Nylabones and gumabones are great toys, as well as kongs. Both brands have many varieties of toys available for chewing safety. If you want to discourage chewing on the kids toy's, why buy puppy toys that are similar? Agreed. Anyone stick with nylon bones or does the puppy need toys of his own? We have 3 dogs. 2 are xl. We have on average 12-15 Nylabones around and we also rotate weekly. They range in shape but otherwise are the same. We do however have some Orka toys that are only chewed on when we are with them and our puppy LOVED those. Her favorite things ever.

What size and kind of bowl? I'm thinking a small weighted stainless? Sounds perfect, easiest to clean, less problems with allergies.

Are the furminators too rough for a pup? Not necessarily but for a pug would not be needed. Do the mitt/brushes work? Yes, they can work well.

Nails - Peticure?I love the orange dog clippers by Millers/Forge but any type that you are comfortable with will work. Pugs can be crabby with their nails being trimmed so work on this early and often.:)

Missing anything? (Food will start with whatever it's used to eating until seen by vet.)

Sounds like you have most things covered.

Training and consistency are the big things for puppy hood.

Having a schedule already planned out can give you some really good ideas on times to go out for a potty break versus play time,etc.

Good luck and have fun.

Plastic travel crate or metal? I got the plastic variety. It looks better in the living room, is more den-like and cozy, and is airline-acceptable, if that was ever necessary. It is also very easy to pick up and move, with a handle on top.

Buy one that fits the puppy now or that should fit when it's full grown? I got one that will fit our dog as an adult. I just stuffed a towel in the back to take up some extra room.

Do you use a pad in the crate or wait until they are trained? I use a couple of old towels.

Harness, regular collar, or both? Short and/or longer lead? Regular collar, choke collar for obedience classes, 6' leash.

Toys, are nylon bones okay for puppies? If you want to discourage chewing on the kids toy's, why buy puppy toys that are similar? Anyone stick with nylon bones or does the puppy need toys of his own? I do spoil our puppy, he has a lot of toys! He loves squeaky, stuffed toys, especially balls. He loves natural-type chews, such as pig ears, bully sticks, that sort of thing. No rawhide though, it can be choking hazard. He isn't so thrilled with nylabone chews, but that's just him.

What size and kind of bowl? I'm thinking a small weighted stainless? I got plastic, a larger one for water, smaller for food.

Are the furminators too rough for a pup? Do the mitt/brushes work? I use a wire slicker brush on our guy.

Nails - Peticure? I admit, I'm not good about trimming our pet's nails.

Missing anything? (Food will start with whatever it's used to eating until seen by vet.) Poop-pick-up bags for walks. Some sort of enzyme, odor-removing spray. A LOT of paper towels. Pooper scooper for yard. Treats, biscuits.

Have fun! Puppies are a lot of work, but so cute!

MichelleT