Menu

Tell me how to use Fact Families.

Lovedtodeath

I have this link... http://www.mathcats.com/explore/factfamilycards.html I think it is a great idea, but we have not gone over subtraction at all yet. I am not sure when to introduce fact families. I also wonder if I should present them in a more concrete form with the addition, subtraction symbols before introducing these cards.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I like the wording of Singapore's method. Using the numbers that showed on the cards in the link, 3, 5, & 8, the amount 8 would be the whole (total, whatever word they understand best) and the 3 and 5 would be the parts. It is easy to demonstrate with objects. Put out 8 things, take away one part, the 5, it leaves the other part, 3. It is easy to demonstrate that 3+5 is the same as 5+3 and that if you know two of the numbers you can find the other number (hey, pre-algebra in 1st grade) and that subtraction and addition are opposites. After they understand the concept with objects you can work on the symbolic/written part (+, -, = signs) and then memorizing the facts. And at some point learn the names for these math properties (commutative etc). The concepts translate to learning multiplication and division fact families pretty well, except you are working with groups instead of individual amounts.

After they understand the concept, I draw a little house figure and put the "family" in the roof and then the kids make the number sentences using them in the box of the house. My daughter likes this exercise and draws little flowers in front of the houses. It is a great way to keep her busy on the white board while I am working with someone else.