Menu

Teaching Textbooks - ready for college math

Well, I can tell you my dd is not a mathy kid. She is really struggling through TT Trig/PreCalc but she is bravely marching onward. Her scores, whatever they are, have been hard-earned.

Ditto my DD. She's not mathy either, but works very diligently. After using Saxon through 1/2 of Advanced Math. I switched her to TT geometry. She's going through Precalc. now without the the lectures because they're not ready, but she works methodically as best she can. TT really suits her learning style. This morning she said she she's so glad I switched curriculums for her because she feels she has retained a lot more.

I have swayed SO many times with our math...I'm truly pathetic. Both my dc are using TT at two different levels and have learned AND retained plenty. More than I ever did...which would be nothing, zero, nada!!! My inability to teach high school level math is why we are using TT. I have so desperately wanted to use Saxon or Chalkdust or one of the other programs, but "I" don't have the wherewithall. :tongue_smilie: TT most certainly fills a specific need for our family. I have finally decided it's better for my dc to have a thorough understanding of what they are studying rather than a confused, shallow understanding of something that's too hard for them. I am not saying TT is not challenging...it can be...both my dc have some less than stellar grades on lessons to prove that. But, once they go back over the work and their mistakes, they figure it out and have those lightbulb moments!!!:001_smile:

It's great to hear about the SAT scores and college grades. It makes me feel less fearful that I am doing my kids damage!!! Just kiddin'! I hope my dc are as successful as some of yours.

Robin

Okay, DD just finished Singapore 4a (she just turned 11 - long story, got sick last year while she was in 3b, muddled through part of 4a, I couldn't teach, stuck her in TT5 she finished it and we picked back up and finished 4a, the TT5 was way too simple, should have used 6). She tests into TT7 but I am not sure wether to do this:

OPTION A

finish 4b,5a,5b,6a,6b, (and hurry through them) then follow with videotext interactive algebra (I have it already)

OPTION B

or this:

finish 4b,5a,5b,6a,6b, (and hurry through them) then follow with TTAlgebra 1 (I have it already)

OPTION C

or this:

use TT7 (have it already) and follow through with the rest of the TTseries

OPTION D

use TT7 and pre-algebra and follow with videotext interactive algebra (I know it includes pre-algebra but due to the scope and sequence of TT, you need Pre-Algebra to get metric measurement, liquid volume and some other things that you would miss by skipping it.

Option A and B are probably the slowest because she would have to complete 2 1/2 grade levels of singapore before algebra.

Option C and D would be fastest 2 levels of TT to complete before algebra

Any opinions? Just curious. I have the TT levels because my son, a VERY NON MATH kid is using it. I just love the singapore because it is so in depth, but wonder if it is really worth pushing my daughter through it if she will get what she needs with TT even though it may not be as in depth.

Blessings

Sandra