Menu

Pilates users: a question

I just got a DVD from Netflix: Element Pilates Weight Loss for Beginners.

And I CAN'T DO IT!

When you're lying on the mat and she says, "Roll up to sitting" . . . well, my body stops about 1/3 of the way up.

I'm overweight, but not a lot. I can do a lot of crunches, but my body will not go UP.

She says you can put your hands on your thighs (with knees bent) for support, but that doesn't help me. I have to use my arm to support myself to get all the way up.

Should I just keep on doing crunches while she keeps on? Will I ever be able to sit up? Is it me? Can everyone else do this?

I want to do Pilates. I think it's a good fit for my joints and back weakness. But being unable to do a simple move on a beginner workout is a little discouraging.

tia

I just got a DVD from Netflix: Element Pilates Weight Loss for Beginners.

And I CAN'T DO IT!

When you're lying on the mat and she says, "Roll up to sitting" . . . well, my body stops about 1/3 of the way up.

Some stuff to get you strong enough-

Negative sit-ups- start sitting with your knees bent up in front of you. hang on to your knees, keep your feet flat on the floor, and make your back as round as possible. lower as far as you can hanging on to your knees. Let go of knees, hold position, then lower down to the floor as slowly as possible. Keep your back round th whole time.

Pulses- same as above, but after you take your hands off your knees move down and up as far as you can without falling down.

Keep working! You'll be able to get it.