Menu

Knitting Help and Yarn Substitution

So I'd love some advice from all of you knitters!

Way back when I tried to teach myself how to knit from a book, I started making a blanket that was basically a bunch of squares in garter stitch, that were stitched together at the end. I've worked on the squares off and on over the past seven years. At one point I had to start using different needles because I was no longer knitting so tightly. I also adjusted the number of stitches cast-on in order to try to get these newer squares to be the same size as the old ones. Well, I realized last night that this was never going to work. there is no way they are going to be able to be pieced together because they vary in size too much.

So I decided to rip it out and start again, this time using a different pattern. The yarn I have is Cascade Pastaza:

Specific Fiber: 50% Llama / 50% Wool

Gauge (sts. / inch): 4 US Needle: 9

Weight: (3.5 - 4 sts/in) Heavy Worsted

Yardage: 132 yards Physical Weight: 100g

The yarn recommended in the new pattern I'm looking at is Suri Dream:

Content: 74% Suri Alpaca, 22% Peruvian Highland Wool, 4% Nylon

Weight: Super Bulky Weight

Gauge: 1.5 - 2.5 sts = 1" on #11 needles

Amount: 143 yards/50 gram ball

Since it is a blanket and not a fitted item, I know it isn't as big of a deal to do a substitution, but I'm wondering if using the Pastaza would work. If I use it, should I use different needles than the pattern recommends to make up for one being heavy worsted weight and the other being super bulky weight?

Thanks so much for any thoughts!

Use a larger needle to try to match the gauge. Not having the correct gauge also affects the feel/thickness of the blanket, not just the size. I would try a size 10, 11, 12, or 13 needle on the Cascade to try to match the gauge of the original yarn. Be sure you take the swatch off the needle when measuring the gauge.

Suri dream isn't actually a super-bulky yarn. It's just terribly FUZZY, so you knit it on the larger needles in order to take keep the fuzz from getting compacted. You're substituting a yarn with no fuzz, which is FINE (unless what you like about that pattern is the fuzzy halo).

Gauge isn't really important here, but (for a blanket), drape is. Knit a largish swatch with the larger needles and see how it feels. Does it drape like you want a blanket to drape? Choose your needle size based on how you like the drape of the swatch--do you want to cuddle up in this?

If it seems like things will be much larger or smaller than the pattern calls for, it would be easy to modify the pattern here. Make six strips instead of five if you need it bigger; make the strips 26 stitches wide instead of 30 stitches if you need it smaller. That kind of thing.

I think it'll be a lovely blanket with that yarn!!