Menu

Math Question

This is our first year home schooling. I am very happy to report it is going wonderfully. I'd like to express my gratitude towards all the men and women on this board, who have so graciously offered to share their suggestions and wisdom along the way. My question today is what should I do next with math? My daughter will be finnished with TT6 at the end of February, knowing that we're going to use CD from pre-algebra on, should I have her carry on with TT 7, which contains 116 lessons that she would finish in Oct of this year (keep in mind we take summers off) than begin the CD pre-algebra in Oct. and just continue from there. Or would you suggest I put her in CD Basic math to get her used to the method and teaching style? For those of you who are familiar with CD, maybe you can address my concern: will she miss something if she continues with TT 7 first, rather than the method of CD basic math , before she enters into CD pre-algebra? I hope this makes sense.:confused: Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't used CD to tell you what she will be missing, but I can tell you that when my ds finished 5th grade in ps, I gave him the TT placement tests. His weakest subject in school was math. He tested strongly into pre-algebra. I immediately decided that TT was not the curriculum for us. I knew that my ds did not have the background to begin pre-algebra yet. I had a friend who loaned my TT7 to try anyway while we were waiting for curriculum to come in and sure enough, we had trouble finding anything worthwhile to do there. I know a lot of people love these and that are wonderful for being self-teaching, and maybe the higher levels are better done, but there is not much math taught in level 7. If you want her well prepared for CD pre-algebra, I'd go for CD basic math.

Debbie