Menu

Who suggested paying a cent/word for copywork?

That suggestion, coupled with a great idea that came out of the book The Door in the Wall has revolutionized our copywork time! Young Robin is invited to visit the Monks as they copy over the bible -- the Monks have a special room called the Scriptorium.

My brain started chugging and I pitched the idea to the Peachlets about having their own "Scriptorium Time" every day for 15 minutes and for each properly copied word, I'd pay them a cent. They could work longer in their scriptorium books on their free time if they wanted to increase pennies earned.

The boys have a goal of copying out a chapter of the Bible and they are wildly excited about it.

My hs goal is to make sure the kids get what they need academically, but while they're young, do that on the path of least resistance. This Scriptorium idea seems to be helping!

Wanted to share this little success story that was built on the back of another great WTM Mom suggestion!

Warmly, Tricia

Edited by Sweetpeach
Hole/Door - I was close!

when my son was a beginning reader he was not highly motivated to reach better fluency. we traveled a lot at that time. i told him i would pay him a penny for every word he could read to me on the billboards we passed. no repeat words, $1 a day limit. THAT was motivation to a 5 year old. his reading skills improved quickly. after about a year i told him i could no longer afford to pay him!

this sounds like a really good idea. Can you tell us more? I currently do not do copy work like I am thinking you mean...I do have the kids work on a page or two of a handwriting curriculum (abeka handwriting) but I would love to move on to copywork.

do your kids use a spiral notebook for their book...or looseleaf? How do you decide what to copy? Are you doing dictation, checking grammar, or just having them copy, looking for neatness?

I am not above motivation, either. We are pushing through headsprout phonics with 3 kids, after every 20 lessons, they get to pick a prize at the bookstore.