Menu

Questions about travel, priceline, Ohio, more

I need a hotel in Ohio; preferably the Columbus area, but the south side of it (along 70). I've looked at priceline and hotwire and can find cheap rates, but they don't say which hotel has the great rate, and that makes me nervous.

1) What are the safer parts of the Columbus area? What areas should I avoid?

2) How trustworthy IS priceline or hotwire? Will I really get a quality place or some dump on the side of the road?

I've never done this before by myself. What should I know?

Michelle, You may not find much on the south side of Columbus. It is an older part of the city, and while I would not call it unsafe, it is usually not considered the safest part of the city. Are you actually going to go through Columbus and stay on 70? If so, you may do ok outside the city on the east, like in Pickerington.

As far as booking, I actually like Expedia or Orbitz. I have never used the other two you mentioned, and it has been a while since I used the two I gave you, so somebody may know a better site.

I've done this once before. You can look at the available hotels at Travelocity. Check out the location, amenities and descriptions, # of AAA diamonds, etc. Then you can use those to narrow down the possibilities at Hotwire or Priceline. "Hmmm, this one says it has a pool and allows pets, and it's 'in the heart of the theater district'. That sounds just like the Howard Johnson's, or maybe the Holiday Inn Express." Now you've got a 50/50 chance of being right about which hotel you're likely to get.