Menu

If you were going to "teach" poetry to a K'er, how would you do it?

Blessedfamily

I think it's Jack Prelutsky that has a book of poetry out now, where the poems are half-finished to inspire the reader to complete them. I haven't seen it in person yet, so not sure what age it is for, but something like that would be a lot of fun to work on together, I bet.

Is she wanting to write rhyming poetry? Or just poetry? There are all sorts of forms, and some are easier than others for little kids. There's one kind that's just like a list ... pick a theme word, like her name or favorite food or something, and write it down the paper (one letter per line) ... then think of a word that relates to the theme that starts with each letter. Or do haiku when she's ready to count syllables in words.

One fun activity is to cut out colorful words from a magazine, the bigger (font size) the better, and then arrange them into silly sentences and poems. (It helps to glue them to stiffer paper first.)