Menu

Starting to hs 3rd grade dd w/ wtm - where do I begin for history?

Guest kalliegal

I started using TWTM this year with my 3rd and 1st graders. We are doing SOTW 1. My plan was to just have the 3rd grader complete 2.5 cycles through high school. However, upon further research, I've decided that I'd like a planned history curriculum for the logic stage, and that History Odyssey will probably work best for us. However, this curriculum is designed for the 4-year cycle to be done in order with a 5th -8th grader (5th grade - ancients, 6th grade - middle ages, etc.). The reading and writing assignments are geared to those grade levels. So, I've decided that she will do a year of US history next year to get her back in the right place of the cycle. Also, I don't want her do go all the way until 7th grade without any US history, if that makes sense.

SOTW 1 is where we started when I pulled my 3rd grader out of ps. We used the AG, and checked out books at the library. The projects in the AG are great, and we had a lot of fun using it.

SL also has a great program, but they are pricey. I bought one of the core's on ebay for a really good deal.

This year we are using MFW with SOTW, and it's a great combo.

Guest kalliegal

I figure better to start at the beginning b/c I think it will make more sense to her... I'm pretty sure I'm going to use SOTW but where can I find more info on HO. Is there a website?

History Odyssey is published by Pandia Press (www.pandiapress.com). They have extensive samples of the programs to download. I contacted the author to find out if it must be used in order, or if I could use Early Modern with a 5th grader. She is the one who told me that they were written to be used in order.

I just feel that a put together program will be best for me with all my little ones to take care of also. I like that it's written to the student.