Menu

Bible question......

Next week, we were planning to make it light and I wanted to teach ds the 'love is' scriptures. Well, my bible does not say love, but charity. His bible says love and from what I can gather, online, most do the same. My question is, when did charity become love, or vice versa.

So, it's I Corinthians 13, any input is welcome.

It could very well be. I'm just wondering what the difference really is. IOW, to me love and charity are two different things. Is it supposed to be charity or love?

I'm having such a low day and seeing charity, where I expected love, was staggering.

I just wanted to know if, maybe, I just had an unloving bible ;)

The first Bible version I studied said 'charity' and my mom told me the Biblical definition of 'charity' was 'love' as opposed to the modern definition of charity which implies helping others.

Later in reading older novels I saw the early understanding of charity in phrases like "He was charitably disposed toward ..." meaning affectionate.

Modern use of charity has almost turned negative like "They are charity cases", with an implication of condescension or pity.

Wow, it was difficult to express the different 'flavors' of the word without tone and facial expression. Was my explanation understandable?

It could very well be. I'm just wondering what the difference really is. IOW, to me love and charity are two different things. Is it supposed to be charity or love?

It was originally written in Greek, so different translations and even different versions are going to choose a different English word. There are several words for love in the Greek language. This one is the word that comes from agape, which is an unconditional love, as opposed to the Greek word phileo, which is a brotherly love. The KJV was translated a long time ago, and chose the English word "charity". More modern translations have the word "love".

I don't have time to look up all the exact Greek words and references, but this should give you an general idea. I'm sure all the Bible scholars will jump in and provide more detail.:001_smile:

Lori

I'm having such a low day and seeing charity, where I expected love, was staggering.

I just wanted to know if, maybe, I just had an unloving bible ;)

I forgot to add that I'm sorry to hear that you're having a low day.:grouphug:

Lori

In the original Greek, the word being translated as "love" or "charity" in the 1 Cor. 13 passage is "agape." It is one of the four types of love talked about in the NT:

Among the various names given to the expressions of love, we may note the following: eros, love as generative and creative, whether sexually or artistically, and usually characterized by some degree of ecstasy; storge, a tender love, as of a mother for her child; philia, brotherly love or the love that is content to be accepted by others and able to relax in their presence, as with one's own family; agape, esteem and unselfish love for others, interested primarily in their welfare without seeking a return, of which the exemplar is God's love for us. - from Angelicum

The passage is speaking of a specific type of love, one of compassion and unselfishness. Not the romantic type of love that the passage is often used to support. Both translations of the word are probably correct; however, the translation of charity is probably more accurate in its attempt to describe the type of love and how it is expressed. Kind of like how you've probably heard that Eskimos have over 20 different words for snow. The word snow would apply to all the types, but each of those other words identifies a nuance to the type of snow that is lacking in just saying "snow." Agape is a type of love, but translating it as charity is an attempt at addressing the nuance intended.

. . . be faithful to the Greek. I'm guessing that your translation may have consulted the Latin (Vulgate) as well as the Greek. "Caritas" is the Latin word being translated there. They probably chose charity to emphasize that Paul is talking about an active sort of love there--not a feeling one has toward someone else, but a choice to behave lovingly towards that person.

That might make a nice entry into the passage for your kids! (Does that help it feel better?) :grouphug:

Thank you, all of you :)

So it was originally agape? That is wonderful, beautiful and exactly what I needed to hear, or read ;)

If only I owned a Bible that would make those things clear, I'm looking at my Walmart special right now and thinking, I got what I paid for :glare:

The first Bible version I studied said 'charity' and my mom told me the Biblical definition of 'charity' was 'love' as opposed to the modern definition of charity which implies helping others.

Later in reading older novels I saw the early understanding of charity in phrases like "He was charitably disposed toward ..." meaning affectionate.

Modern use of charity has almost turned negative like "They are charity cases", with an implication of condescension or pity.

Wow, it was difficult to express the different 'flavors' of the word without tone and facial expression. Was my explanation understandable?

I completely understand. I remember the first time I read, 'he tried to make love to her' in an old novel and was shocked to think of a man trying to have sex in public.

Sometimes (most times?), the modern versions of words or statements lack so much as to nearly negate the true meaning.

Thanks!