Menu

Math question ~ dividing 4 numbers by 2

sheryl

I'm looking ahead in our books to explain division of 4 numbers by 2 and I can NOT find the "process".

Would one of you respond with steps and names to the following example? I hope this makes sense.

5487 / 23

Thanks. Sheryl

Sheryl,

First I tell the kids they have to be able to ask the right questions. Once the right questions are asked, then the answer is easy.

The first question is, 'What place are you working in?' First answer is 'The Thousands'.

Second question,"How many 23's are in 5?" Answer: None

Question: What place are you working in now? Answer: the hundreds. Now underline the hundreds. (Underline 54 in the problem. This is how many hundreds you have)

Question: How many 23's are in 54? If you can't figure this out, estimate by using only the 10's place, ie, how many 2's are in 5? (You will need to emphasize this over and over again about using the 10's place in the underlined number to estimate.) So if there are 2 tens in 5 ten, then we can estimate there are 2 twenty three's in fifty four. Put 2 in the quotient hundred's place. Multiply, subtract and COMPARE. Make sure the child knows to compare the underlined place.

Question: What place are you working in? Answer: The tens place. How many tens are in 887? Answer: 88 tens.

Question: How many 23's are in 88? Answer: I don't know.

Estimate using only the tens place.

Question: How many 2's are in 8? Answer 4. Use 4 as your best guess.

This is too much but it is a good opportunity to compare. Go back and use 3 in the tens place in the quotient.

Subtract, compare.

Question: What place are you working in?

Answer: The ones place.

Question: How many ones do you have?

Answer: 197 ones.

Question: How many 23's in 197?

Answer: I don't know. Now estimate using only the tens place in both numberrs.

Question: How many 2's in 19?

Answer: 9.

Use this as your estimate. This is too much. So go back and use 8

This is a rough outline and it is early and I have to go. Family waking.

Blessings!

Penny