Menu

Megawords Question

Sunshine State Sue

Okay, if you start Megawords in 4th grade and there are 8 levels, do you just do one a year? It's easy to do more than one a year. Is there a reason to stick to one a year? If you do stick to one a year, you finish in 11th grade. Since I have no idea if we'll still be homeschooling in 11th grade, and I am obsessive about finishing what I start, I'm starting to wonder if we should do more than one a year.

Maybe I should set up a poll so people can vote :rolleyes:

Megawords user here; started it in 6th grade with our struggling speller. He's doing 8th grade this year and is partway into Book 4 right now, and we'll finish it by the end of this school year. He desperately needs spelling every day, so we'll keep going with it into high school, for as long as he needs help with spelling.

I don't think you "must" finish all the levels. And I do think that at the rate of a page a day, 3-4 days a week, you would still finish early, so I guess I would say, "just keep going, and go for as long as child needs it, or until other circumstances (such as going to a school) bring it to a halt." : ) I think it's a very flexible program.

Just my 2 cents worth! : ) Warmly, Lori D.

We started Megawords (and hsing) in 7th grade and went through all 8 books by the end of 8th. I did not do some of the exercises, I can't remember which since it was 7-8 years ago. My ds was a good reader but he is definitely not auditory. It really helped him learn phonics, syllables, prefixes, and suffixes. I looked thorough the lesson and broke it down to no more than 4 days, depending on how many sections there were. For example, he knew what compound words were so I think I only spent a day on that one.

Hope this helps.

My 2nd daughter did the entire Megawords series. She started in 5th grade, did pretty much a page a day, and finished by the end of the first semester of 10th grade. I will say that there were probably times when we went without doing it for a few days, but we just kept plugging away at it. For this daughter it was a great investment to do the entire series because of her language-based challenges. Good spellers may not need to do the whole series.

I started them this year in the 7th grade and my son is about to start the third book, and I think we might get through the fourth this year. It would be great as I would like to go through to the 8th one by the end of 8th grade next year.

Of course, I give my son a cash insentive per book, but we do most of the exercises and we even time his readings/word lists for fun.

HTH,

Dee in FL! ;)