Menu

Anyone use BJU for literature?

One of the options I am looking into is using BJU for literature but adding some whole books into it. I know the high school lit book covers portions of certian books or covers certain authors so I am thinking we could read the whole book after we do the BJU lesson on that book or author. I don't think we would cover the great books this way, but I think we would cover some good literature in depth. What do you think?

One of the options I am looking into is using BJU for literature but adding some whole books into it. I know the high school lit book covers portions of certian books or covers certain authors so I am thinking we could read the whole book after we do the BJU lesson on that book or author. I don't think we would cover the great books this way, but I think we would cover some good literature in depth. What do you think?

So, if you are still considering BJU, you can ask me in a few months? We are doing gr 11 "American Literature" and I really have no idea what to expect. It does look like a "broad" coverage rather than a deep coverage of the subject, though. I would like to assign whole works but with our gr 11 workload being quite heavy (as well as additional reading assignments I am assigning from lists of classics), I don't know how much "whole book" readings I will assign. I may even just assign them in the summer.

Maybe if you did decide to use BJU, you could assign several of the whole books the preceding summer? (I wish I'd thought of that!)

Lisaj, mom to 5

I like BJUP's textbooks the best of all the Christian publishers, and their literature courses are one of Cathy Duffy's picks: http://www.cathyduffyreviews.com/phonics_reading/BJUP-literature-high-school.htm.

My ideal is Great Books because I was educated that way in high school and college, but my work schedule is increasingly forcing me to delegate or cut corners, and I'm very concerned about the upper grades. I'm hoping to have my children in outside classes for that, but if we can't, it will be BJUP.

In generally I don't care for the content of BJU texts, esp with their history, but in their lit texts they do an excellent job of covering literary analysis. I have used both BJU and Prentice Hall so I wouldn't have a problem recommending either publisher for someone wanting to use lit texts.

For 9th grade, they use Prentice Hall (read Great Expectations and Romeo and Juliet in PH) textbook and whole books. When they read PH, they answer the questions in the back of that reading. When reading whole books, the teacher hands out a packet with the reading assignment (how many chapters to read by when) which includes background info., literary analysis, and questions.

Over the summer they had to read The Odyssey, Lombardo translation and Into Thin Air.

They are currently reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Then they read Things Fall Apart, Fahrenheit 451and Old Man and the Sea.

HTH!