Menu

The "extras" in a Language Arts program

Country Girl

If you don't use an all-in-one LA program, what do you do to cover the "extras" that are often included in an all-in-one LA program? We use the MCT series for grammar, writing, and vocab and really enjoy it. However, we also test here so I'm always a little paranoid about not covering the "standard" breadth of material that is covered in a grade-level, all-in-one program. We get a bit of the literary terms by using Teaching the Classics but this is pretty loose, so I was wondering if lit guides would help fill in the holes as far as literary terms, genre, etc. But what about things like alphabetization, contractions, how to write a letter, dictionary skills etc.? We get some of this naturally as we go through the course of life (ie. don't know what a word is... then go look it up etc.). Is there something to fill in the "extras" so I feel confident for test time?

Thanks!

Have you looked at the language arts workbooks available in most book stores like Barnes and Noble? I think the Spectrum workbooks attempt to cover "state standards". Have a look through them and just cover the material that isn't already included in your regular curriculum. Another option would be Evan Moor.

Here's a link:http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_4_18?url=flatten%3D1%26search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=spectrum+test+prep+grade+5&sprefix=spectrum+test+prep

Are you mainly concerned with covering everything that will be tested or with properly covering "everything"?

If the concern is for testing, the a test-prep book is probably the best solution. We test every other year starting in 3rd grade. My plan is do do a test prep-book before the test each time to make sure we have hit all of the high points.

If the concern is making sure you cover "everything", you can't do a good job of everything and you can't cover everything every year. Find a good scope-and-sequence that you trust or a good overall plan and use it to plan out your years so that you can build a strong foundation in LA and relax knowing that you are teaching what is important and will cover the important material. And then use the test prep books to pick up and specific skills that aren't covered in the order that your test tests them.

Btw - the logos school has good, detailed scope and sequences that list specific skills that should be covered in each year. Many other places have them too. It is just a matter of find one that you agree with and trust.

Have you looked at the language arts workbooks available in most book stores like Barnes and Noble? I think the Spectrum workbooks attempt to cover "state standards". Have a look through them and just cover the material that isn't already included in your regular curriculum. Another option would be Evan Moor.

Here's a link:http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_4_18?url=flatten%3D1%26search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=spectrum+test+prep+grade+5&sprefix=spectrum+test+prep

Stacy,

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know why I didn't think of one of these, complete book of language arts type workbooks. I'll take a look at them.

Thanks!

Are you mainly concerned with covering everything that will be tested or with properly covering "everything"?

If the concern is for testing, the a test-prep book is probably the best solution. We test every other year starting in 3rd grade. My plan is do do a test prep-book before the test each time to make sure we have hit all of the high points.

If the concern is making sure you cover "everything", you can't do a good job of everything and you can't cover everything every year. Find a good scope-and-sequence that you trust or a good overall plan and use it to plan out your years so that you can build a strong foundation in LA and relax knowing that you are teaching what is important and will cover the important material. And then use the test prep books to pick up and specific skills that aren't covered in the order that your test tests them.

Btw - the logos school has good, detailed scope and sequences that list specific skills that should be covered in each year. Many other places have them too. It is just a matter of find one that you agree with and trust.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm mainly concerned with covering things for the test. I feel pretty good that we will cover the necessities in the long haul, but I'd like to try and make sure I keep up with the minimums in "grade levels" for testing purposes. A test prep book may be the best option. I'm also going to look for a good scope and sequence like you suggested to try and follow.

Thanks!