Menu

Starting a LCC co-op

SonshineLearner

Ok, Cadam and I have talked about what we'd do, if we started a LCC type co-op. Those that strive to use LCC, what kinds of co-ops do you have, and how do you do memory work with individual levels? I can't think outside of what I'm doing in our CC group. Would we have students divided into actual grades? That are doing LCC at home? Do you see us doing Greek and Latin together.

I do have the new LCC edition 2 book and the Living Memory Book, too.

All your help is welcomed:-) I don't want a Cottage School right now. I just want to meet maybe one day a week.

Carrie:confused:

• 4 months later...

I haven't done anything with it, yet. It doesn't mean I won't :-) I'm thinking that I could do this on a different day than the day I do Classical Conversations.

I'm also very interested in doing a Living Math unit that I found over on the Living Math site...that corresponds to SOTW I. I think it'd be a great year of 6th grade math. If anyone reading this has done it...I'd love to know:-)

Carrie

Oh yes--I LOVE Living Math! I've been told that math is one of the harder subjects to coordinate through a co-op, but the Living Math lessons could be supplements for EVERYONE.

I sure wish I could get this co-op thing together, but...I just don't exactly know how. Did Cadam ever come up with one?

Leila,

Have you actually used the Living Math lessons? I'm looking at Julie's SOTW unit 1 to start with. I'd love to hear real experiences with it.

Cadam hasn't started a coop as far as I know. Even though I'd love to do a LCC coop...I'm thinking it might be easier to find families to participate in a Living Math coop class. I'm a bit apprehensive to do a Math class myself. I loved basic math, but get me into Algebra...and it's like asking me to teach Russian....

Carrie:-)

Hm, kind of... We'll be working with just one other family in the fall, so I guess that makes it a co-op... ;)

I lean a little more LCC, she leans a little more WTM, but we do have similar goals, curriculum, and kids with compatible levels and personalities.

We'll be meeting two days a week. We're mostly working around the two older kids (6th graders), and then sort of fitting in stuff for the youngers (3rd, 2nd/3rd, and 1st graders).

We'll start each day with memory period, largely drawing on material from Living Memory. We'll do a mix of poetry, important speeches and documents, folk songs, etc. But all of the kids will be working on the same stuff (again, with an eye to the oldest kids). Then the older ones will have an hour of Latin, 45 minutes of logic and 45 minutes of Greek (since they're at a lower level in Greek than in Latin). While they're doing that, the younger ones are going to have some fun discussion/projects/writing assignments relating to literature they're reading (the older two are very strong readers, and we'll make sure their assignments are also available on audio book for the youngest), then Latin (they're all beginners, having only done Song School Latin so far), then a study hall for written work like math and grammar. (Or, during that time, they may do some educational games like RightStart math games, etc.) After lunch, all of the kids will be doing a science experiment (keyed to the oldest kids' science text) or doing an art project related to a particular artist, depending on the day.

Yes, science isn't all that LCC-ish at this age ;) , but both of us feel the oldest kids *do* need science, and doing it together will make it easier on us moms, more fun for the kids, and just more likely to get done all around.

The older kids will be doing the same history, literature, and math assignments each week -- but not during that time. We are hoping, however, that some of that shared reading and study will come up during discussions and play, even if we aren't able to fit it in to the hours we have together each week officially. The younger kids will be doing SOTW at the same pace, and reading the same literature books for their discussion/project time, but they will each be doing math at their own pace.

So that's it. Mostly: memory, Latin, Greek, logic and some hands-on stuff together. Other stuff the same when it makes sense for the kids, in hopes that that will encourage them to draw more connections and have more discussion about the topics.

Buuuuuut... Haven't done it yet! And at this point, I'd be leery of having a larger group trying to make all this work. I could see maybe doing that at some point, but for now the logistics of two families seem like plenty to deal with... :)

• 5 months later...
Ok, Cadam and I have talked about what we'd do, if we started a LCC type co-op. Those that strive to use LCC, what kinds of co-ops do you have, and how do you do memory work with individual levels? I can't think outside of what I'm doing in our CC group. Would we have students divided into actual grades? That are doing LCC at home? Do you see us doing Greek and Latin together.

I do have the new LCC edition 2 book and the Living Memory Book, too.

All your help is welcomed:-) I don't want a Cottage School right now. I just want to meet maybe one day a week.

Carrie:confused:

Alright, I am sitting her with LCC 1st ed, Living Memory, CC Foundations Curriculum Guide, The Harp and the Laurel Wreath, and i before e. I would like to set up something more or less secular for the fall of 2010.

Is anyone up to dreaming about a CC/LCC hybrid?

How would it look? What subjects could you realistically do in a few hours? Would you try to cover those subjects that are somewhat peripheral in LCC and just do that subject on co-op day? Do you envision it as being mommy and me like CC or more like a traditional co-op where parents have specific roles but perhaps not with their own children?

Mandy, very interested but still trying to figure out how it would work