Menu

Can you help me with a Math U See Pre-Algebra vs Algebra

rockala

Hello everyone,

My dd (13 now) struggled last year with pre-algebra. We did the first 9 lessons of math-U-See pre-algebra and the first 3-4 books of the key to series. We started this year with Life of Fred and made it through chapter 3 before we bailed. This year she is in 8th and we have gone back to finishing math u see pre-algebra with a tutor.

She is terribly bothered by being behind a year. She is a very bright student and is advanced in many areas. The tutor helps her over the sticking points and boy do I wish I did this last year.

She is on lesson 17 now and they are covering celsius vs farenheit. She does not need a tutor for this as well as many more of the future lessons, I am noticing it is a lot of review. She is covering lesson 18 with her tutor which is algebra.

She wants to start Math-U-See Algebra I as soon as possible and we will run them simultaneously. I want her to still finish the pre-algerba. My question is does Algebra I do some pre-algebra review and do you know at what point I could start the Algebra I? I am thinking that given all the review in this program and the review at the start of Algebra I that this could work out. But I do not have the program to view.

Also, am I right in sticking wioth math-u-see? I appreciate anyone who can help me with these questions.

Kathy

Edited by rockala

Hi Kathy,

I did a bit of a comparison (incuding LoF Algebra) in this thread. There is much in Pre-Algebra that will be covered again in Algebra or Geometry and much that is just miscellaneous and doesn't necessarily need to be covered before Algebra. I think the most important lessons (of the remaining lessons) that you would want to cover before starting Algebra are Lessons 21 & 22.

Doing Pre-Algebra in 8th grade is not behind. It is right on target for an average math student. I would suggest that you determine where she is coming up with that misconception. If it helps, you can tell her that I have a degree in math, and I took Algebra in 9th grade. Of course, that was eons ago, but still. I took math in summer school before my senior year in high school so that I could cover Calculus in high school. But, that isn't necessary for many students.

I think MUS is fine in the high school years for the average math student. I think if your student is going to be going into the math/science/engineering fields, it is not rigorous enough. I have gotten this impression from lurking on the high school boards.

HTH!

Hi Sue,

Wow, thank you for the link and reply, it really helps a lot. We can at least move forward and get through lessons 21 & 22 before we begin the next program.

Also, it appears you are saying that LOF Beginning Algebra is not a Pre-algebra program like I thought. Since it stated beginning I thought that was sort saying Pre in a different way. We own the companion book too.

I am not sure why it seems so different here in regards to grade level. We live in Massachusetts and dd is on a swim team locally. All the girls she knows do pre-algebra in 7th and algebra in 8th. It is the standard - not an option. I don't understand am I missing something?

It would be hard for me to tell her she is not behind when she hears what the other kids are doing?

Kathy

Hi Sue,

I am not sure why it seems so different here in regards to grade level. We live in Massachusetts and dd is on a swim team locally. All the girls she knows do pre-algebra in 7th and algebra in 8th. It is the standard - not an option. I don't understand am I missing something?

How things change! I grew up in MA, and when I went to school (back in the dark ages :tongue_smilie:), in 7th it was 7th grade math, and in 8th you had a choice between 8th grade math or Pre-Algebra. That was it.

5 of us made a big stink and they let us take Algebra in 8th, but since the teacher in each classroom was already teaching 2 levels (yes, each class had some of each level), it was made clear that if we insisted on Algebra in 8th it would have to be self-taught. All the teacher did was give us tests.

Somewhere in the intervening years it does seem it's become the norm here to have Algebra in 8th, at least in the burbs, but then MA does like to think of itself as advanced.

Here the ps do that only for the advanced or gifted students. I think some districts try to do that to give the impression that they are more advanced or rigorous. They want the parents to be impressed that kids are doing Algebra in the 8th grade but it isn't a country - wide norm.

:iagree: same here in FL

You should still be able to get her where she wants to be though. It might mean a Summer of math but then she would be at the same level as age mates.

:iagree:

I would look at the local High Schools. Do they require 4 years of math? Does everyone do Calc and Trig?

:iagree: the answers to these questions would be very, very interesting! Good point!

Edited by Sue in St Pete

Also, it appears you are saying that LOF Beginning Algebra is not a Pre-algebra program like I thought. Since it stated beginning I thought that was sort saying Pre in a different way. We own the companion book too.

It would be hard for me to tell her she is not behind when she hears what the other kids are doing?

Lof Algebra is considered Algebra I. He does not have a Pre-Algebra program, although I've seen posts here that he considers Fractions, Decimals, and Percents as pre-algebra (but don't quote me).

I'm sorry that your dd is feeling behind. Now, I understand why you/she think she is.

Kathy,

Most do take algebra I in 8th grade in MA but MOST don't do enough algebra I in gr. 8 to skip algebra I in high school. So students take algebra I again in grade 9. But if your dc is seeing algebra for the first time in high school (if she attends a school) then she will be at a disadvantage because all the students will get the very beginning of algebra fast (at least the first 1/3 of alg. or so) and your dd may or may not.

I see no reason, based on your assessment, that your dd can't skip pre-alg. and go to algebra I.

LOF Beginning algebra is NOT pre-algebra. It follows the standard table of contents of most high school algebra programs but explains it differently and has dc do less problem sets than most homeschool algebra programs.

Since you have LOF Beg. Alg. you may want to start it again from page 1 and see how that goes or go to MUS algebra.

Links to help with algebra:

http://www.algebasics.com/

http://www.hippocampus.org/?course=17 - go to algebra

thank you and thank you for the links too. So what you are saying is the kids doing 8th grade Algebra will continue doing Algebra I in 9th grade? Now this is very good for me to know. I guess I do need to inquire about what kids really are doing for math in high school here. I had no idea and assumed it would be Algebra II for 9th in MA.

We are planning on continuing home schooling all the way- but she may take some courses at the local college. I wonder if after taking basic math- if that is what they would require of her if she would end of having to take Algebra I again in college?

I do feel better, maybe she is not so behind as I thought. Thanks for the links too, they look good.

Life of Fred is very different. His way of thinking made it very hard for me to help. I am sorry to say that right now my ds in 6th grade is thinking of dropping the other two books he offers. It does seem very good in the way of thinking outside the box though- of course I guess that would be for a new thread.

Thanks again,

Kathy

:D

Life of Fred is very different. His way of thinking made it very hard for me to help. I am sorry to say that right now my ds in 6th grade is thinking of dropping the other two books he offers. It does seem very good in the way of thinking outside the box though- of course I guess that would be for a new thread.

I can totally understand this. While ds likes LoF because it is humorous, we both tend to like clear and concise and Fred is not concise. Sometimes, the story line just makes me think he is rambling on. And, ds gets a bit lost in it. It is difficult to help a student with it because you have to wade through the story to find what you want. However, the author intended/wants the students to email him with questions, not ask for help from the parents. Personally, I like helping ds with math. It's the subject I love.

So what you are saying is the kids doing 8th grade Algebra will continue doing Algebra I in 9th grade?

I guess I do need to inquire about what kids really are doing for math in high school here.

I wonder if after taking basic math- if that is what they would require of her if she would end of having to take Algebra I again in college?

:D

Yup, ask around and find out what most 9th graders are taking for math in your area (not your neighbors bright mathy kid :D).

I haven't got as far as college yet with my dc but I had to take college algebra my first yr. Just like high school, colleges required you test out of algebra.

What are your long range goals? Taking algebra in 9th, geo. in 10th, alg. II in 11th and trig. in 12th is a fine pace of math!

Here's another link that may help: http://www.pass.leon.k12.fl.us/Book%20Subject%20Areas/Mathematics.aspx