Menu

"Visual-Spatial", etc.

On the old boards (I used to lurk) and remember it was not uncommon for parents to categorize their children by learning styles/abilities such as "visual-spatial". It seems less common now, but I read several threads today mentioning "visual-spatial" learners.

I'm wondering what some the other categories in this method of dividing learning abilities, where these concepts had their origin, and how people determined what sort of child they might have? Testing?

Thanks in advance, I'm way behind the curve on this one.

Bill

Perhaps some test, I come to these conclusions through observation. My 4y.o. ds is the one I would describe as "visual/spatial". He seems to be able develop a mental map of any place he visits and rarely gets lost. While climbing trees with an older boy last summer, I watched as he seemed to know exactly which sequence of branches to use to get where he wanted to be. The other boy was a bit clumsy and often seemed lost. Academically, he seems to be showing early talent for math and art.

Perhaps some test, I come to these conclusions through observation. My 4y.o. ds is the one I would describe as "visual/spatial". He seems to be able develop a mental map of any place he visits and rarely gets lost. While climbing trees with an older boy last summer, I watched as he seemed to know exactly which sequence of branches to use to get where he wanted to be. The other boy was a bit clumsy and often seemed lost. Academically, he seems to be showing early talent for math and art.

A great book on this is "The Way They Learn" by Cynthia Tobias

So what categories are there besides visual-spatial? And were these concepts defined/popularized by Cynthia Tobias or someone else?

I'm curious.

I always trot this article out when this subject comes up, but I think it's an important one: Ask the Cognitive Scientist: Do Visual, Auditory, and Kinesthetic Learners Need Visual, Auditory, and Kinesthetic Instruction?

The author has a web site that touches on many facets of education. His video (free) "Learning Styles Don't Exist" should be required viewing in every ed-school classroom, imnsho. ;)

I always trot this article out when this subject comes up, but I think it's an important one: Ask the Cognitive Scientist: Do Visual, Auditory, and Kinesthetic Learners Need Visual, Auditory, and Kinesthetic Instruction?

The author has a web site that touches on many facets of education. His video (free) "Learning Styles Don't Exist" should be required viewing in every ed-school classroom, imnsho. ;)

So Drew, are you saying that my being clueless about cognitive learning theories might be working to my advantage? :D

Bill

Originally Posted by Plaid Dad

The author has a web site that touches on many facets of education. His video (free) "Learning Styles Don't Exist" should be required viewing in every ed-school classroom, imnsho.

I was going to give the same info, so at least the news is spreading!:D

Melissa

Reading Program Junkie

dd(10) dd(6) ds(4) ds(1)

Very possibly. :)

The short, practical application of Willingham's ideas: Teach to the natural modality of the subject, not to the student's preferences.

That's not always as obvious as it seems: I have to remind people that Latin is a language, meaning that it is best learned using all of the natural language modalities, including listening and speaking as well as reading and writing. Same with poetry: if you're not reading it aloud, you're missing something very important. Music is naturally auditory, but if you are learning to play an instrument, there is a large kinesthetic component as well.

If you want an interesting (and, I think, correct) take on multiple intelligences and academics, Charles Murray's Real Education is the book to read.

They are now part of popular educational wisdom across the board (not just the boards!). In the video I mentioned, Willingham answers the question "why, if this theory is wrong, does it seem so right?" I think he's spot on in his analysis.

At base, we want to understand why some students do better than others. That simple fact offends our egalitarian, democratic sensibilities. If we can say that so-and-so can't do math but he's got "great interpersonal intelligence" (i.e., he's a nice guy), we don't have to feel like we - or he - failed.

I'm still curious about why these terms (and cognitive categories) were once so popular (or at least common) on WTM, especially in the days of the "old board". Was there some book or program that popularized the concepts in the hive mind?

Bill

I'm not sure I can answer your question vis a vis the old board, but Howard Gardner popularized the notion of "multiple intelligences" back in--oh, heck, I was in grad school, so say the late '80s or early '90s or something? I think he finally settled on 8 intelligences. :001_smile: And then Daniel Goleman saw a goldmine in the making and popularized the idea of emotional intelligence in mid '90s.

This one I'm fairly certain I don't have. ;)