Menu

Please help this inept cook: broiling steaks

Once upon a time I was watching a cooking show. They broiled steaks. The kitchen didn't smoke up and set the fire alarm off.

The cooking people had put something in the drip pan part of the broiler pan.

I have four thick steaks sitting in my fridge that I must cook tonight. But I don't feel like stinking up the house and setting off the fire alarm once again.

Does anyone know what they put in the drip pan?

Thanks a million!

Was it water they put in the drip pan, maybe? I don't do it for steaks but I do it when I bake a chicken.

I must confess that I have broiled steaks for years and years and never stank up the kitchen or set the fire alarm off. I'm not even sure how one would possibly DO that.

All I can recommend is to set the oven to broil, leave the door open a bit (that is important), and keep a good eye on them. When they start to brown, turn them over. Then watch them closely again. When they look done, cut into one a little and see if they are done enough. If not, cook a little more. The whole process should only take 20-30 minutes.

Does this help at all?

It happens every time I broil a steak.

I don't have one of those nifty broil compartments on my oven. I have to stick the meat in directly under the broiler in the oven.

And, yes, the dripping fat creates a lot of smoke.

I have never left the door open a crack. Perhaps I should.

I was positive they said something on the show about the smoking fat problem. I'm thinking they put salt in the bottom of the pan, but I'm not sure. I'm also thinking that they may have pre-cooked the steaks by heating them in a warm oven for 20 or 30 minutes and then thrown them in front of a broiler to brown them. Maybe what they did was pour off the fat at that point.

I'm all befuddled.

I think putting water in the drip pan would help cut down the smoke. Also, if the steak has a lot of fat around it, can you trim some of it off? I can see this being more of a problem if there's a lot of fat.

Once my husband cooked marbled steaks on a grill and caught the grill on fire because so much fat was dripping. Perhaps this is the kind of problem you're struggling with.

Do you have the instructions for your oven? They would be able to tell you if you are supposed to leave the door open, but from most ovens I've seen (my father has been an appliance repairman all my life), you are supposed to leave the door open slightly.

What kind of oven do you have?

I've never heard of precooking the steaks before, but I suppose it might help if they are really thick.