Menu

Sharon in MD- about Foerster's alg II/trig & precal

How far do we need to go in Foerster's alg II before switching to pre-cal? The text lists only ch 1-8 for alg. II-did you cover the advanced algebra as well? Learning to use a graphing calculator on my own is too time consuming-I REALLY need help!

Susan.

Major sympathy sent your way. We struggled quite a bit with learning to use that darned calculator on our own....

Are you switching over to Foerster's Precalc with Trig or something else, because I hate to say it but the calculator learning curve is even worse in his Pre-calc book. We did it, but it was not easy because of the assumption that teacher would know what they were doing...ha ha.

Anyway, as far as switch from the Al II text, you need to go through the first 12 Chapters of the AL II with Trig text, for a full AL II course minus the trig. That was what Foerster suggested to us.

HTH

Major sympathy sent your way. We struggled quite a bit with learning to use that darned calculator on our own....

Are you switching over to Foerster's Precalc with Trig or something else, because I hate to say it but the calculator learning curve is even worse in his Pre-calc book. We did it, but it was not easy because of the assumption that teacher would know what they were doing...ha ha.

Anyway, as far as switch from the Al II text, you need to go through the first 12 Chapters of the AL II with Trig text, for a full AL II course minus the trig. That was what Foerster suggested to us.

HTH

Well, I had hoped to continue with Foerster, but..... I am weary! I may use Chhalkdust, although I REALLY dislike the texts.

Susan

I'd love to hear why you dislike the text Chalkdust uses, and why Foerster is better.

TIA

This is what I stated in a related post-

I've tried CD Algebra I and geometry and disliked the algebra because the lectures and text problem-sets covered so many concepts in one lesson. I had to spend time dividing the problem- sets and lectures into smaller chunks or my dd was overwhelmed. I didn't think the geometry was comprehensive enough. (We ended up using Foerster' alg I and Jacob's geometry)

Despite the books, we really like Dan Mosley, and I'm willing to give pre-cal a try.

I'll be using the pre-cal with my ds next year if that is theroute I decide to take. It is costly!!

HTH,

Susan