Menu

Torrey Academy?

Guest Dyson

Hello,

We are an experienced homeschooling family (daughter in college, 15-yr-old son), currently seeking information regarding Biola's Torrey Academy. We are attracted to the classical education offered through Torrey, but have reservations regarding the depth of religious content. Is anyone here knowledgeable of the program and if so, do you believe a student may successfully enjoy the program if they are not religious? I understand that a statement of faith must be signed, that the foundation of our country is irreversibly connected to religious discussion, and I value these discussions. But I question the programs flexibility in individual depth of beliefs, so long as the student maintains respect for the discussions?

Thank you for your time.

Jennifer

Michelle,

Thank you for the reply. I will research theses options.

I've noticed many families here have attended Torrey courses. I would really value your opinions regarding the quality of the program, regardless of religious content. Diverting from our usual course of homeschooling is a stressful decision. I'm trying to become as informed as possible to avoid mistakes.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Michelle,

Thank you for the reply. I will research theses options.

I've noticed many families here have attended Torrey courses. I would really value your opinions regarding the quality of the program, regardless of religious content. Diverting from our usual course of homeschooling is a stressful decision. I'm trying to become as informed as possible to avoid mistakes.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Kathleen, who hasn't been here lately, has a son who took Torrey. She mentioned it on her blog.

I miss Kathleen!!

My daughter has taken on-site Biola Star classes (she'll do a Torrey one next year). I have talked to several families with students in the Torrey program, and most think it's wonderful. The only one who didn't had a student signed up when there was a teacher they didn't like (who's no longer with the program). It's considered very rigorous by all the homeschoolers I know.

Biola is unabashedly Christian. (Biola was formerly the Bible Institute of Los Angeles). Most of the families are evangelical, literal-Bible-believing Christians. I'm sure any student who isn't would still be treated respectfully, but I think the program's intent is to help the students develop and defend their Christian worldview.

This is our third year. My two, dd and ds, both loved and speak very highly of the program. I appreciate the integration of subjects (History, English, Philosophy, Theology) giving a student usually about 3 high school courses. I appreciate the Christian Worldview integrated throughout the course. Another plus is that it includes a Writing Lab with instruction on the writing assignments. Also the tutor assesses and grades the writing assignments.

It is rigorous.

The quality does depend on the quality of the tutor.

My dd now attends Biola Univ and continues to recommend these courses to other high schoolers.

Having said that, I'm not sure if our next ds will take these since they require much online class discussion and this ds is especially shy.

hth

Sylvia in CA