Menu

Algebra: Which use a mastery approach?

We used Jacobs and loved it, for both Algebra I and Geometry. I would definitely use it again because I feel that it teaches the "why" and applications with good problems, built in review and a little comic humor as well. As far as mastery is concerned, I feel that is more up to the person sitting in the evaluator's seat. Each of us determines mastery differently, so unless you are using a computer based course which requires that you meet X% before you move on, I don't know how you would determine that a course uses a "mastery approach", as you call it. I do think that Jacobs builds on itself and that there are problems within the assignments that actually are part of the teaching, ie you learn as you solve the problem.

I don't know if this helps or not, but we were very happy with Jacobs and Forester as a follow on after that.

I think of a mastery program as one that teaches a lesson and then has you work on that till you've mastered it. Review is included both within the problems since math builds on itself and maybe in a separate review set. However review is NOT used a a means to learn the material (like a spiral approach).

Jacobs does sound like a great program.

thanks for responding

through problems. He teaches the material in the text but there are times when an additional "aha" moment is taught through a problem. I found Jacobs to be very thorough, it was not as if you might skip a problem and miss something foundational. But there were teaching moments in the problem sets from time to time. We found the texts to be very well written and self-explanatory. We used them before the Dr. Callahan material was available (ds is a senior now) so I don't really know how that might benefit your children, but I've heard it is good.

The thing I really liked about Jacobs was that I felt it explained the WHY, which is so important to me. I also like the way the geometry has built in AL I reviews at the end of every chapter. It made going on to AL II much easier for my son.

There a lots of good programs out there, you just have to decide what will work best for your family. There are multiple ways to skin a cat....you just have to figure out which one will leave you with fewer scratches! ;)