Menu

Help me make my house a home!

I live in clutter. Honest. But, even when I 'de-clutter' it's still cluttered!! I can't decorate to save my life!! Can you please help me?!? Send or post pics of your decorated homes?

I need living room help, and master bedroom help. I live in a mobile home, so it is very hard, space wise, to decorate. Please help me!!

Jessica

I think with clutter the main thing is for everything to have a place and then you need to straighten up each day to put everything back in its place. If it doesn't have a place - get rid of it.

I don't have any pictures for you but maybe you could focus on one focal point in each room. If you have the space to make a small grouping for decorating, then knick-knacks look great grouped in odd numbers. In my kitchen, I cleared a section on the counter and put a small lamp on a stack of cookbooks and then added two kitchen knick-knacks. Also a grouping on a small tray helps pull the look together, plus it makes it really easy to clear a coffee table to use for dining or games.

I think window valances and hanging pictures make a big difference too. They wouldn't add to the clutter issue either since they are off the group. I love the discount stores like Ross, TJ Maxx, Home Goods and Kirklands for pictures and inexpensive decor. Just a few pictures on the wall can make an impact.

Good luck.

I have had to face the fact over the years that "decluttering" is an ongoing process. There is no end to it. If you think there is, six weeks down the line, you're going to wake up and wonder how your house got so cluttered again! LOL There is no end to it. You have to make up your mind that you will be decluttering forever. That sounds really bad, doesn't it? At first, decluttering is easy because you have so much stuff. Eventually, decluttering will just mean looking around the living room and thinking, "I don't really like those little knick knacks anymore." Then you'll bag 'em up and ship 'em to Goodwill. As long as you bring things into your home, you have the potential for new clutter.

I have lived in clutter most of my life. My mother would buy junk, junk, junk! When it came time to clean the house, her solution was to box it all up and rent a storage unit. She never went through the stuff, she just bought more and then rented another storage unit. When she died in 1995, she had six storage rooms, all at least 10x10, that she had been renting for the better part of ten years. I shudder to think of the thousands of dollars she wasted storing trash. And it was just that-trash.

Another poster recommended Flylady.net. It's wonderful. Just remember that your home didn't get cluttered up in a day and it won't get decluttered in a day either. Be nice to yourself, and stick with it.

Good luck!

J

Could you post a pic or two? That might save time. Perhaps we could make a few suggestions.

When I have limited space, I always try to think vertical for storage. For example, I don't put a short bookcase somewhere where I can put a tall one. When I had small children and wanted to display my knickknacks (out of reach), we made inexpensive shelves above all of our windows in the living room and dining room to display them on. I've seen shelves run around an entire bedroom to display treasured items, about 1 foot down from the ceiling. The shelves don't have to be elaborate or expensive.

If you have lots of treasured items that you can't seem to decide between, try packing them all up for three months. Then, take out the three you have most been missing. Wait another month, then choose three more that are your favorites. Then wait another month. At that time, go back to the box and ONLY take out those items that have been on your mind that you are still missing, and give the rest away.

Well, I've posted pictures of my (smallish) house here and have decorating tips and projects here.

I think making a house into a home (and decluttering) are life-long projects for most people. I will second flylady.net. I also choose furniture based on storage and use value. In a small home, furniture works hard! I like pieces that store stuff behind closed doors. Having a specific time each day to do a quick pick-up of each room makes a huge difference as well.

As for decorating, often decorative 'stuff' just contributes to the cluttered look. I posted my simplified decorating tips here.

Yes, to post a pic would be helpful.

It doesn't matter what type of home you're in. Space is space. The best I can say is have the right space and don't buy anything unless it contains storage. For example. Don't buy a coffee table unless it has a drawer and a shelf under it. Don't buy an end table unless it contains storage. Closed storage makes things look neater. Build a closet and put in shelves. Make use of upper space. Take bookshelves from floor to ceiling.

Back of door shoe hangers work well for office supplies in a closet, even toys. Just because it's a kitchen doesn't mean you can't use a cabinet for books or anything you want. Use a hook system for coats inside the door and use a coat closet for other storage. Build UP. Add a shelf over doorways and windows.

If you can't get end tables w/storage buy baskets and store books in them under the table. All the same baskets will give you continuity and seem less cluttered. Keep colors to a minimum using more neutral colors so things aren't so busy. Buy a "Pantry" cabinet from Home Depot, the tall kind and attach it to a wall where you need space. They're pretty inexpensive.

Got any old drawers? Put wheels on the bottom and put them under your bed to roll out storage. Downsize the amount of towels and such and make room for other storage. Think out of the box.

More precise info would help. What are your problems exactly?

Edited by alilac

You've got to declutter first. Get lots of garbage bags. Have 3 working bags at one time; one bag is keep, one bag is give away and one bag is throw away. Start with one room and attack it. If it still looks cluttered after you "declutter", declutter again until it looks sparse.

Paint is a wonderful, easy way to redecorate a room.

Well, I've posted pictures of my (smallish) house here and have decorating tips and projects here.

I think making a house into a home (and decluttering) are life-long projects for most people. I will second flylady.net. I also choose furniture based on storage and use value. In a small home, furniture works hard! I like pieces that store stuff behind closed doors. Having a specific time each day to do a quick pick-up of each room makes a huge difference as well.

As for decorating, often decorative 'stuff' just contributes to the cluttered look. I posted my simplified decorating tips here.

Heidi, you have a real gift. Those pictures are inspiring!